News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aristocrat DIP switches

Started by Rocktifier, December 17, 2010, 02:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocktifier

Does it matter which way i mount the DIP switches for the Aristocrat?  Or are they simple toggles that can be installed either direction?
Thanks!

maysink

doesn't matter. they just on/off a connection.
[nothing to see here]
-e

rowla

I can't find info on the settings of the Aristocrat DIP switches as to which positions for clean, OD, distortion

Anyone?

gtr2

I can't crack mine open right now but I believe it is like this:

both off = clean

one on one off = overdrive

both on = most gain available, I wouldn't call it distortion
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

guycapuano

Bump, can anyone verify or clear this up? I am waiting on an aristocrat and need to know how to set these dip switches. Its pre built, actually suppose to be built by Brian/MB himself as the prototype, so a solid explanation on how to set them is what setting etc.

Also if someone could just PM me the BOM that would be great.

marmaliser

Its as Gtr2 said above.  And if for some reason yours isn't it becomes pretty obvious from the gain/volume you get as soon as you start moving them

mgwhit

That's not 100% accurate.  Each dipswitch turns a pair of clipping diodes on or off.  Dipswitch one controls the "overdrive" clipping diodes in the negative feedback loop, and dipswitch 2 controls the "distortion" clipping diodes that clip through an inline shunt.  The "1: on, 2:off" setting is very different from the"1:off, 2:on" setting.  The "both on" setting is just too subtractive and isn't really recommended.  This information can be found in (a little bit) greater detail at the Analogman web site.

madbean

What mgwhit said, and down position is off.

guycapuano

Mine sounds decent with both dips up. I got an old prototype Madbean built. One side has a 4580, the other side has a 4588, they both sound different when set the same, its kind of interesting. Both sides are the same circuit right?

jkokura

yes they are the same.

do you mean 4558?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

guycapuano