News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

King Slayer 2015 - LED Clipping Tone

Started by strat56, September 01, 2016, 09:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strat56

Me again, I recently finished this King Slayer 2015, had two problems, volume control didn't work and LED clipping sounds flubby.  I reflowed the solder joints on the volume control and it works now but the LED clipping is still flubby, very bassy and not very pleasing at all. 

Pics attached, any ideas anyone?  Did I use the wrong LED's?  I didn't have any square ones like in the build pics in the build doc.  This is fun but I wish one would just work right the first time :)

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

madbean

What you are describing sounds like either one LED is in the wrong way or it is shorted to ground. Check to see if the LEDs are arranged back to back (can't tell from your pic). If you have a continuity checker, see if either LED has both ends connected to ground (which would indicate a short).

somnif

Is there contact between the back of the pot and the diodes? That could be a culprit.

strat56

Quote from: madbean on September 01, 2016, 11:04:36 PM
What you are describing sounds like either one LED is in the wrong way or it is shorted to ground. Check to see if the LEDs are arranged back to back (can't tell from your pic). If you have a continuity checker, see if either LED has both ends connected to ground (which would indicate a short).

I looked for a flat spot on the LED's to make sure I had them in right but couldn't see one.  I'll check that out.

strat56

Quote from: somnif on September 02, 2016, 12:30:41 AM
Is there contact between the back of the pot and the diodes? That could be a culprit.

I 've checked for that but maybe I'll stick something in between that pot and the board to make sure.

darrenw6000

On them dual pots I use sticky double sided foam pads 18mm size seem to be good.