News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eleventy-bajillion diodes for your Sunking.

Started by madbean, February 10, 2011, 11:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Well, not quite, but how about 9 options with two switches?

Or, 3 options with only one switch?

[attachment deleted by admin]

stevewire

Nice.  I was just wondering about this.  Sun King board in the mail.

Mark_McQ

Would this be usable on other pedals that pairs of diodes?
Wouldn't mind experimenting with this on my Uproar once I get it built.

jkokura

Yes, this could be done on any diode clipping section.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JammyDodger

O.k. - cool.

How 'bout some suggestions for the diode pairs?

Cheers, Mike
The Jammy Dodger

madbean

Sure

2x 1n270
2x RED LED
4 x BAT41 (two in series per side)
1N4001 x 2x1n914 (asymmetrical)
2 x 2n7000 wired as diodes (solder Drain and Gate together)
2x 1n60 (schottky or germanium)

jkokura

One more suggestion for clipping would be to add a resistor in parallel with the diodes. I think 100ohm will do, but other values would be worth trying. This softens the clipping a fair amount, which can be dramatic with silicon or LED diodes.

I've also used JFET diodes and MOSFET transistors as Brian has suggested. There are multiple ways of making this happen, but there are lots of options to try:
2N5457
2N7000
J201
2N2222

My usual go to diodes are:
1N914
1N4148
1N400X
BAT41
1N270
1N60
Red/Yellow/Green/Blue LED's

and my favourites...

1N34A

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madmac

Here's a good one I have used a couple of times to help me decide which diodes/combinations to use in a pedal.  Not my layout found it on freestompboxes.

[attachment deleted by admin]

masterlk

This is really cool guys! My only question about the diodes is this, I bought the NOS Germs from Smallbear that are a work alike for the 1n34a. How close can I expect these to sound like the 1n34a's? The reason I ask is because I thought they really sounded kind of dull in my Sunking build. I know sound is subjective but I noticed that many builds use these. Would it be worth trying the 1n34a's vs. the "work a likes?"

madbean

Experimenting with diode selection is the best thing you can do to personalize the Sunking. If those sound dull, then put away for something else! It is not a dull sounding circuit by any means.

You can find some reasonable priced germaniums on eBay. I've bought small quantities of 1n34a, 1n270 and 1n60 before. So, if you feel like spending a few dollars it could be worth your while.

masterlk

For sure it is not a dull sounding circuit but I noticed a difference between the 1n270's which I settled on instead of those "work a like' 1n34a's. Ok, I'll shop around, I did socket those so I'm good to go there.

I have to say I am really liking this circuit, great tone from this pedal. The part that is driving me crazy is that I am going to etch the enclosure and I am waiting to box it up until then..."the waiting is the hardest part."

B_of_H

I need to give some different diode sets a try, thanks for the diagram. 

rhcp311

Nice. I will definitely be doing this at some point when I can take the time to drill my enclosure. This seems like it could be very cool, but how big of a difference will I really be able to tell between all these diodes?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Very useful! My mods folder is getting much bigger!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

pauloman80

Quote from: rhcp311 on February 14, 2011, 10:21:58 PM
Nice. I will definitely be doing this at some point when I can take the time to drill my enclosure. This seems like it could be very cool, but how big of a difference will I really be able to tell between all these diodes?

I think that's the rub, you won't really know until you try it out.  Really depends on what you hear.  I'm building my first Sunking with this mod from the get-go so I can hear what's what and determine what I like.
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80