News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Honeydripper issues.

Started by JakeFuzz, July 29, 2012, 01:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

So, I've been troubleshooting my new Honeydripper build this weekend and have come to a wall. Let me start off by saying that I did most of the modifications listed in the build docs. The effect passes a little sound and lots of high pitched oscillation noise. The oscillation volume is effected by the amplitude (envelope) of the guitars signal.

One major change I made was to sub most of the 1n914's with 1n4003's. I figured they are used for envelope rectification and the change won't alter the performance of the effect (I may be completely wrong though). One strange thing I have noticed is the output of the charge pump gives me about 16.5V instead of closer to 18V. Most of the effects I have done using a charge pump get really close to about 18V even under load. I have removed all of the IC's and the charge pump still outputs in the high 16V range.

I have audio probed the signal path and tested just the amp portion of the CA3080's (isolating pin 5) and both filters as well as the input fuzz section and the output stage work. The problem is coming from somewhere in the envelope generator that drives the filters. I have also swapped the LM324's without any luck (all voltages look good). I have also triple checked both the component values and the soldering to make sure nothing is out of place.

Any ideas? Could it be my use of 1n4003's in place of the 1n914's? Or could it be a power supply issue?  ???

jdub

Bump on this one...I'm having the same exact issue ??? In my case, I made no substitutions and did only the recommended mods.  Voltages on ICs and diodes seem appropriate, but have no voltages from a working unit to compare.  Anyone willing to post?  Would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

JakeFuzz

A little update on mine: I have swapped all of the 1N4003 sub's I made for 1N4148 (1N914) and that didn't do much. I have two new CA3080's on the way (Thanks Keefe!) and will try those in the circuit as soon as they arrive. I also tried a new charge pump (TC1044 with the boost pin to 9V) and that gives me the same results. I've also tested the rotary switch connections and those look good. This one looks to be boiling down to either the CA3080's themselves being bad or there is a bad component somewhere in the envelope generation section. If this weekend isn't too busy ill take it into work and use my function generator and scope to test out the envelope section and the CA3080's.

jdub

Yeah, I'm starting to suspect my 3080s as well.  I have two known good ones that I'm gonna pull from a couple of compressor builds & try out.  I'll let you know what happens.  Thanks!

Haberdasher

Quote from: JakeFuzz on August 08, 2012, 05:45:24 PMI have two new CA3080's on the way (Thanks Keefe!) and will try those in the circuit as soon as they arrive.
the guy mailed them today so i will probably have them by friday.  It would have been nice if you could have had the chips by the weekend, I know.  but I'll do the best I can.

cheers
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jdub

OK, got an update:  popped my two known good 3080s into my build and the thing fired right up, so apparently I have some bum chips (curse you, ebay!).  Anyway, hope your new chips solve your problems...and if you need voltages after you get 'em, just post back & let me know and I'll get 'em for ya.

J.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: jdub on August 09, 2012, 03:11:51 AM
OK, got an update:  popped my two known good 3080s into my build and the thing fired right up, so apparently I have some bum chips (curse you, ebay!).  Anyway, hope your new chips solve your problems...and if you need voltages after you get 'em, just post back & let me know and I'll get 'em for ya.

J.

Ahh my savior. I hope mine works as well. You've given me hope, Thanks for the update and I will let you know if I need voltages.

BTW: Which ebay seller did you get you 3080's from? I picked mine up from a Chinese based seller (Polida) on ebay. The chips took almost an entire month to ship which is ridiculous.

Quote from: Haberdasher on August 09, 2012, 12:32:19 AM
the guy mailed them today so i will probably have them by friday.  It would have been nice if you could have had the chips by the weekend, I know.  but I'll do the best I can.

cheers

Keefe, no worries man. My boss might even have me working this weekend  :'( so it might be a little bit before I get to pop these in and confirm. Thanks!

jdub

I got mine from polida, too.  I was hesitant, but a couple other folks at DIYSB had gotten some from him and they worked OK, so I took a chance.  I got four for about $7 (cheap), but I'm still gonna see if he'll replace them...if not, it's a fairly cheap lesson.  Anyway, lemme know if you need anything!

Haberdasher

Hey Paul, good news.  I got the chips in today and stuck two random ones in my honeydriper and it fired right up.  These are Harris chips and I think they may be a tad noisier than my intersils but they still sound great.

I'll mail them out tomorrow.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

JakeFuzz

Sweet! At the very least I will be able to rule out a bad set of CA3080's. Thanks for testing those out for me. Ill let you know as soon as I put them in. Fingers crossed it will fire up right away.

JakeFuzz

Turns out the Chinese CA3080's were bad. Stay away from Polida folks. On another note the honeydripper sounds epic. I can't even begin to describe this one. Sound clips to come when I get a chance to stuff it in an enclosure. Huge thanks to Keefe for making this one come to life!

madbean

jkokura

Weird. I thought i got my 3080's from Polida and they were great...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JakeFuzz

Quote from: jkokura on August 14, 2012, 01:27:12 AM
Weird. I thought i got my 3080's from Polida and they were great...

Jacob

I actually went with Polida because I saw quite a few folks get good 3080's from them. I am not sure if it is just something with this recent batch but all four of mine were bad. I am just happy it finally works and sounds really cool.