News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Custom XLR pedal

Started by pawlmichael@gmail.com, July 25, 2022, 03:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawlmichael@gmail.com

Hello. I am looking for a pretty simple yet specific XLR A/B switching pedal.

An XLR switch that is 2 inputs w/ A/B option but 2 equal outputs (exact same signal, either A or B based on what is selected). One of the inputs needs to have a volume control, but not both. Battery power only for the A/B LED. No popping when switching.

I don't really care about the size of layout of the inputs/outputs.

Would anyone on this forum be able to make this?

jwin615

Is this for mic level or balanced line level signals?

jwin615

Ok, since I didn't get a reply, I'll expand.
If this is for mic level signals, your going to need a mic split transformer. Assuming, the sources are not phantom powered, that's pretty straight forward. A Jensen one is around $100
Then you'll need a 3p2t switch, 4p2t if you and an LED.
In and out jacks and bobs your uncle, except...
If your connect gear like this, your going to need ground lifts at times.
You also can't attenuate simply without potentially screwing with the mics impedance add affecting the tone.
All this is much more doable if the mic has already gone though a preamp(line level).
If you need to madle mic level signals, for whatever reason, I would get a Sescom AB mic box model SES-AB or SES-AB-FS if you want a foot switch. That's about $70 new That's your two inputs. Then run it's output to a ART Prosplit.$90 new, $30 used. That will be your two outputs and have ground lift capabilities. It does not have variable attenuation but does have a pad.
You could possibly modify the SESCOM by changing out the switch for one with an additional pole, adding a bettery clip and a resistor and led.
Use the Google machine and seek led wiring 3pdt switch. It's pretty simple.
Another option may be the Radial hotshot ABO
Now, if you need line level, that's alot easier as you can just passively split those, but may still run into grounding issues at times when connecting one signal to multiple piece of equipment.
Hope that helps.