News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

OD/Distortion...What ya recommend? UPDATE: GOOP ALERT!

Started by pryde, January 19, 2015, 10:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Hard to keep up with all the great offerings around here in the OD or distortion world but after something new/different maybe,

I use an expandora a lot and have been pushing it with a klone getting some inspiring tones for sure. However, the expandora is pretty bright and a bit thin overall. I also still have and use my faithful boneyard on occasion.

Really would like to have something with some THICK midrange that has a alot of pick attack say Andy Timmons type of thing maybe.

What have you folks built lately that you are really digging in the medium-OD to distortion world? Thanks for sharing  :)

GermanCdn

I haven't finished boxing it yet, but the Sparklehorn will likely be my new favourite OD.  When I was pre-box rocking it, I was pretty much in love with it.  The fact that it has a great delay built into it is just icing on the cake.  And I typically like my delay in the FX loop, but it just works in the Sparklehorn arrangement.  Not too much gain, but would seem to be a good compliment to what you're already running.

Got a couple of Aion's boards in the boxing stage as well that I'm pretty happy with as well.  And one that I misdrilled in the enclosure for  >:(.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Muadzin

Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion. It managed to kick my trusty old Dirty Little Secret clone that had been sitting on my board since 2010 off my board. I find it to be quite comparable to the DLS in an A/B test, but in a band mix it seems to sit better in the mix. The Stone Grey was also tied with a Crunch Box clone, which I thought sounded just a little better, but because it was prone to squealing with the gain maxed the Stone Grey won.

Björn does seem to know how to make a tasty stompbox.  8)

jubal81

I'm honeymooning with the SuperJudge at the moment. It's squarely in the Medium to not-quite-super heavy range and has a bit of raunchiness that makes it exciting.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

selfdestroyer

I have been revisiting older layouts like the Barber LTD & Direct drive. I forgot how much I loved them.

Cody

playpunk

I love my sparkplug. I am also digging my catch22 which I need to box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pryde

Thanks for the ideas, most of which I wouldn't have considered but will definitively look into them.

A "rich and chewy midrange-y" overdrive seams to be the Xotic BB (madbean glitterati I think). Another COOL option might be Thomas H Tube Driver project. Not sure how either of these would sound as a "standalone" base OD tone with a Klone pushing it for leads of heavier riffage.

Thoughts on the BB, tube driver, or any others? Keep em coming  :)

Cortexturizer

If I remember correctly mr Bean had a project that has been amongst the PIF pcbs around Christmas that was this BBplus and Klon hybrid which sounds absolutely up your alley. I am also interested in that one and whether or not it will reapear at some time.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

G.G.

+1 on the Superjudge for midrange attitude, it has a truckload. Another build I put together recently is a KOT-style setup (2 Bluesbreakers) using a Morning Glory and a Nucleon Atomic Blue OD. Both of those have a decent amount of midrange by themselves and together it's very pronounced. 2 switchable gain controls also make it flexible and easy to get the amount of dirt you want. I'll bet 2 8balls and/or a Grindcustoms Goat combo would sound amazing. I've been meaning to set one of those up myself actually.

gtr2

The BB preamp has been my primary overdrive for the past few years... Fits the bill for me perfect.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pryde

Just pulled the trigger on a Xotic BB mid-boost (MB) pedal. Greatly discounted due to a blemish. I will just re-house it if it's fugly  ;D

It looks like it fits the bill for what I am after and the active mid boost should be damn sweet. Haven't bought a pedal in years so I guess it is about time. It did not look like there was any sort of project out there for this one so I figured why not.

Definitely going to check out some of the options you guys suggested to build as well.

rullywowr

The BB preamp is also a favorite of mine.  Lately, I have been also been very fond of the "Dynamic Overdrive" and "Jan Ray" circuits.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

playpunk

Quote from: rullywowr on January 20, 2015, 07:26:54 PM
The BB preamp is also a favorite of mine.  Lately, I have been also been very fond of the "Dynamic Overdrive" and "Jan Ray" circuits.

I am waiting for those to come up on your site to order. I got a bunch of relays for cheap on the 'bay as well, so I'm looking forward to trying the clickless true bypass.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

pryde

Quote from: rullywowr on January 20, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

Good to know Ben. I just seen your Glass Hammer project, I assume this is what you are referring to. Since you are familiar with the BB, how does the GH compare? ...Might need to check one out.