News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

help to substitute cap values....?

Started by danwelsh, March 06, 2013, 10:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi guys, just wondering if its possible to substitute certain cap values, I ordered my build parts and screwed up when i ordered 2 values.....I'm looking at building the thunderpuss, and zero point micro and the cap values  i need to substitute are the zero point micro- c1 calls for a 220pf(ceramic)...can i use a higher value for this? And the thunderpuss c2 calls for a 47pf....can i sub a higher value for that also?  Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me

stevie1556

Ideally, you want the correct values, or very close values. If you connect 2 capacitors in parallel then the total capacitance will be C1 + C2. Depending on what capacitors you have to hand, you maybe able to get a closer value by doing that rather than using a higher value cap.

I've never built either of these pedals before so I can't really comment further though as I don't know how different values will affect the pedals.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

danwelsh

can i use ceramic discs....i can get close to the correct values if i buy an assortment from radio shack...they have a 68pf/50v and 221pf/50v....these?
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&product=2720801&category=Resistors&catalog=Online&tab=2#more

jimilee

Anything that will get you there, as long as it does not call for electros
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

danwelsh

Quote from: jimilee on March 06, 2013, 11:34:04 PM

okay thanks jimilee....it calls for ceramic, sucks that i gotta pay 7.99 plus tax to get 2 caps...

mgwhit

Picofarad value caps are almost always going to be ceramic disks.  A 221pF cap will be indistinguishable from a 220pF.  The 68pF should be fine in the Thunderpuss.  Remember, we're usually using parts that have 5-20% tolerances.

danwelsh

jimilee

Quote from: danwelsh on March 06, 2013, 11:38:47 PM
Quote from: jimilee on March 06, 2013, 11:34:04 PM

okay thanks jimilee....it calls for ceramic, sucks that i gotta pay 7.99 plus tax to get 2 caps...
Why don't you just get them from Tayda? way cheaper shipping
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

danwelsh

Its not 7.99 for shipping... thats what the assorted caps cost at our radio shack(the source)....way overpriced but the way im lookin at it is i'll have em tomorrow and i'll likely be needing the rest of the values eventually for more builds.  ...plus i need to get solder anyways at the same store

jimilee

oohhhh well that's cool. I use them from time to time myself. Good to support local businesses,not always economical. Good on you