News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Serendipity problem

Started by gflobe, July 27, 2011, 03:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gflobe

I was populating the circuit board today and as I applied the soldering iron some of the square solder rings came off. Most were fine, but a few of the square ones especially came off. If I try to continue soldering I am afraid I will melt the board.

Since the Serendipity was discontinued and it seems I have a faulty PCB, what can I do?

gtr2

You may be holding the iron on to long.  Anytime I've had a pad problem it's been because of to much heat too long.  Although, usually when desoldering  ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

It's possible that the PCB itself could be faulty, but what you are describing sounds exactly like too much heat applied as Josh said. You can still use the PCB, but you may need to use some jumpers between the components. If you can take a pic of your PCB I might be able to illustrate it for you.

gflobe

It isn't happening from applying too much heat. Some of the pads seem to come loose when rubbed with a finger. When touched with an iron they come off completely. Like I said, some are fine. However 4 have come off a 3 unsoldered pads are loose. I would like a replacement if possible.

madbean