News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

#VFEFRIDAY Fiery Red Horse

Started by jjjimi84, June 25, 2021, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

Alright last Friday was a couple of White Horses and this Friday is a Fiery Red Horse! This is a great fuzz and it sounds ferocious. I had a lot of fun making this demo and writing this song. I did realize in taking the pictures for this and making the thumbnail that I did not double up on the germanium diodes as per the build docs. It calls for two ge diodes per slot and I only did one and I like the way it sounds so I am sticking with it.

This enclosure was airbrushed flat black and then hand painted with a white horse and then gone over in red to make it really stand out.

Has anyone built this and tried the two ge diodes versus just single? I am wondering what I may be missing out on.

[youtube width=640]KuOX8CX_1vQ[/youtube]

jimilee

Hey man, that looks and sounds fantastic. Your playing has really improved over the weeks, I'm jealous. Big Muffs are transistor-based instead of diode-based unless you're dealing with an opamp big muff.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Another banger Dan, killer finish and video again!
Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

Quote from: jimilee on June 25, 2021, 03:17:18 PM
Hey man, that looks and sounds fantastic. Your playing has really improved over the weeks, I'm jealous. Big Muffs are transistor-based instead of diode-based unless you're dealing with a transistor big muff.

My playing has improved?!? Oh man, are you trying to butter me up?

jjjimi84

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on June 25, 2021, 03:36:53 PM
Another banger Dan, killer finish and video again!

Thanks Chris! They are starting to come together

Netnnk

I doubled up on the germanium, but then it sounded just like the silicon pair side.  Maybe some difference appears at an extreme setting with the voltage starved?

Bio77

Great video, Dan!  I'm not a Muff fan, but you might of talked me into this one  ::) 

jjjimi84

Quote from: Netnnk on June 26, 2021, 08:52:05 PM
I doubled up on the germanium, but then it sounded just like the silicon pair side.  Maybe some difference appears at an extreme setting with the voltage starved?

That's kind of what I was thinking, I think it sounds great as is and am way to lazy to change it.

Quote from: Bio77 on June 27, 2021, 12:54:12 AM
Great video, Dan!  I'm not a Muff fan, but you might of talked me into this one  ::) 

Thanks John! I want to like the muff, I have built so many of them and this is the one that really stands out to me. You know how a muff takes over your signal and is noticeable now covered in muff? This does that but then also does so much more, you can get that muff distortion flavor without all of the woofy low end.

Thewintersoldier

If you don't like the muff you can send me your and I'll have it 😂
Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on June 27, 2021, 04:59:09 AM
If you don't like the muff you can send me your and I'll have it 😂

It took all I had not to add in more muff jokes into the video. That 70s show inserts helped ease my giggles