News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fallout Prime Series Teaser

Started by jessenator, December 03, 2023, 02:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

I am ...tentatively optimistic. Much better looking in the teaser than I was expecting. Interesting they're going for the F4 style (at least with Goggin's character) and smoothest ghoul I've ever seen ;D but it looks good and is showrun by the same guy who did Westworld. Maybe there will be other, more necrotic looking ones.

GrindCustoms

Looks very cool to me, i'm not a gamer but i've enjoyed watching game plays of Fallout, just a sucker for anything Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic, also digging the bits of humor and all that. Pretty sure i'll enjoy watching that show! :)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jessenator

I'll admit, the one warning sign I've seen is the overseer(?)
cyclops
I'm not a fan of what looks like Fieg-esque humor. IDK, we'll see

Willybomb

It looks like the sets/locations are taken from the games verbatim.  Looks to be closer to the source material than that horrible Discworld thing that came out a couple of years ago.

jessenator

Lord Todd has said that the show will share/be canon with the games, which will be interesting.

A few candid/leaked behind the scenes shots show a super accurate Red Rocket station. The shanty town kinda looks like Megaton, but unless Walton Goggins' character wanders everywhere, that town is in California wasteland. Also, another sign shows the NCR will be at least mentioned. I mean, it starts/flashes back to pre-war, but the majority of the show takes place in 2290s IIRC, so that's post-Fallout 4 time.

Apparently these location shots were done in the Midwest, but it's likely less expensive. Kinda wish they had more game-accurate Chryslus stuff, the Highwayman, Corvega, but I think I can forgive them, because they have practical fx power armor., I have cynical suspicions as to why they went with the T-60, besides the timeline, but it's looking promising.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: jessenator on December 03, 2023, 03:46:50 AM
cyclops

What is "Fieg-esque" means, language barrier hitting me hard on that one, tried to google and couldn't find answers, thank you!

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jessenator

Quote from: GrindCustoms on December 04, 2023, 05:22:33 PM
cyclops

What is "Fieg-esque" means, language barrier hitting me hard on that one, tried to google and couldn't find answers, thank you!

Ah I spelled it wrong! Paul Feig is a director who has done both television and film work. He has a habit of letting actors improvise too much, even when the end result isn't good, which can actually be very unfunny and break immersion in the setting. The improv comedy that works best (outside of something like 'Whose Line is it Anyway?' show) is something like the US version of the Office, but good grief that Ghostbusters remake was the second worst thing about 2016. He's not the only one who does this, but he's the first person who came to my mind.

Fallout is dark humor, not sitcom humor. Anyway, end of my rant  ::)

GrindCustoms

Quote from: jessenator on December 04, 2023, 06:42:27 PM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on December 04, 2023, 05:22:33 PM
cyclops

Ah I spelled it wrong! Paul Feig is a director who has done both television and film work. He has a habit of letting actors improvise too much, even when the end result isn't good, which can actually be very unfunny and break immersion in the setting. The improv comedy that works best (outside of something like 'Whose Line is it Anyway?' show) is something like the US version of the Office, but good grief that Ghostbusters remake was the second worst thing about 2016. He's not the only one who does this, but he's the first person who came to my mind.

Fallout is dark humor, not sitcom humor. Anyway, end of my rant  ::)

Oh gotcha, i get it now! Indeed, if it compromise the immersion, especially in fantasy/sci-fi stuff its not the best card to play.

Love me so good dark humor!

jessenator

Quote from: jessenator on December 04, 2023, 06:42:27 PM
He has a habit of letting actors improvise too much, even when the end result isn't good

Let me backpedal a bit and rephrase this:  He let's them improvise too much. Even if the 'joke' in the moment is funny on its own, a lot of time it's out of character, breaking immersion.

Invertiguy

As a longtime Fallout fan with over 2000 hours in New Vegas (and less but still significant time in FO3 and FO4), I'm both excited and nervous about this. Mostly I just hope that 1) it doesn't suck, and 2) they don't screw with the lore too much by trying to force the West Coast into the East Coast Bethesda Fallout mold.
Doomsday Devices

jessenator

Quote from: Invertiguy on December 05, 2023, 11:11:58 AM
As a longtime Fallout fan with over 2000 hours in New Vegas (and less but still significant time in FO3 and FO4), I'm both excited and nervous about this. Mostly I just hope that 1) it doesn't suck, and 2) they don't screw with the lore too much by trying to force the West Coast into the East Coast Bethesda Fallout mold.

Couldn't agree more. Can't remember off hand if I mentioned it here, but I really hope I don't see Pagliarulo's name on this project. Well, at the very least not in a lead writer role. But boy howdy if they somehow got Avellone, Gonzales, or Fenstermaker for even guest writers I would eat that sh*t right up!

Yeah I'm not excited for N*zihood of Steel. I've given 3 and 4 fair shakes, but I'm personally not a fan of the Bethesda flavor of open world. It's too hard to write an open world with cohesive narrative that… oh wait, Obsidian managed that. Strangely I don't mind it in Skyrim as much since the main story is room temperature oatmeal. I'll still eat it, but it's not a favorite. But in Skyrim you can at least avoid the main quest almost entirely and do nearly every other quest not in the main line. I feel like Joseph Anderson's critiques of 4 jive with me the most. It's a shame, because the developers clearly put in terribly long hours to make the games, and care was taken with 90% of the assets. Just seems like the direction was "get it done". Anyway…

You've got me beat by over 500 hours! I bow to you, sir.

jessenator

I like that there's some flavor without going Hollywood trailer route of giving major plot points away!

Some unsolicited thought. Stream of consciousness, so bear with me:.

The story opener (maybe the opening with Lucy) seems to be a hybrid of 1 and 3: vault dweller going out into the ruined world, doing some serious adaptation.

NCR appears to have lost the second battle of Hoover Dam—no idea which outcome, but here's hoping the Legion was mostly annihilated. Maybe it was total chaos (Yes Man ending) with mister House taken out. Or they could just be war torn —be it civil or with BoS. Shady Sands was the capitol(?) or at least the NCR's founding settlement, and it looks in bad shape.

BoS seems to be on the offensive again, bolstered by Northwest chapter(s)—the first press release photos mentioned it was Montana or something, with the airship being Casewennan (not East Coast's Prydwyn). Kinda par for the course with Bethesda eternally enamored of the BoS. But the one squire member seemingly teamed up with Lucy could be interesting. Lore is a bit sus, because the East Coast chapter found the T-60 power armor stockpile. West was still using T-45 and T-51.

Can't tell if Kyle McLaughlin 's time is right at the outbreak of The Great War, or later. Would make sense if the vault dwellers (might be same or different vault) scene of them massacring each other on the outbreak of war. But could be because of an experiment.

Walton Goggins' ghoul looks more like Lonsome Road's Marked Men than classic ghoul. Tying him in to VaultTec is interesting — he's an actor, so just a hired schmo shilling for them gives him extra bitterness.

I think , since Todd said it's all canon, the way they approach it might pave the way for Fallout 5, which is eons away.

I heard a rumor that F4's dogmeat is actually an Institute clone—like the gorillas seen in F4—and how it made its way to the West could be a strange crossover. Kinda miss the cyberdogs of FNV :/

Wouldn't be surprised if FNV only gets a cursory nod of existence, and moves on to legacy F1/2 type exploration of the West Coast

Hopefully the fan service of 3+4 plot/genesis is minimal and they get on with their own story

I think that must've been why Todd's only big stipulation regarding FNV's plot was: no West Coast main plot—the plan they had for either their own game or the prospect of a TV series

I mean, that was over a decade ago—Netflix or other streaming production company wasn't even on the roadmap. Maybe another network.

Who knows though. F5 might be outsourced given the terrible 76 launch and the lukewarm to mildly negative launch/reception of Starfield. Todd said they wouldn't, but given how shaky Microsoft's / Bethesda's rollout looks for the next five years… Devs leaving, general discontent, Todd getting his own overseer. Even the future of the Xbox itself is in limbo.

Anyway, enough ambling.

What are y'all's thoughts?

flanagan0718

I love fallout 3. Never had a chance to play 4. Looking forward to the show.

Just incase you needed more Fallout stuff...

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/BFD42A01-7581-4F22-82C1-021807320D6A?store_ref=bl_ast_dp_brandLogo_sto&ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_ast_store_W40X8W3MQWF2JT74KPCA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jessenator

Quote from: flanagan0718 on March 08, 2024, 02:23:21 PM
I love fallout 3. Never had a chance to play 4. Looking forward to the show.

Just incase you needed more Fallout stuff...

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/BFD42A01-7581-4F22-82C1-021807320D6A?store_ref=bl_ast_dp_brandLogo_sto&ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_ast_store_W40X8W3MQWF2JT74KPCA

A friend of mine is going to grab those. At first I felt a bit weird about it, even though I haven't played MtG is ages. I've kinda come around on it, though. I've seen most of the set and the art is really well done.

jessenator

I'm two episodes in. No spoilers. I recommend.