News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Salvaging these parts.

Started by sgmezei, July 20, 2012, 09:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgmezei

Okay so my father is an optometrist and has a room full of old electronic equipment. I pulled some stuff and found some Sprague caps! thought there might be some more stuff worth pulling.

I am terrible at removing stuff from PCB's. I started this thread to get some extra eyes on parts to see what is worth it to remove. I will keep updating with pics.

What diodes are these?

jtn191

as far as desoldering goes, I'd get one of these from Radio Shack http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731

I've used the braids, the stand alone pumps...it trumps them all and is cheaper/tips lasts longer than their irons

Haberdasher

I got one of these https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2131021_-1 and it works better than anything else I've tried.  I noticed you can get replacement tips on amazon too.

Just let it heat up for about 5 minutes and go.  There's no indicator light though so you better remember to unplug it when you're done!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

sgmezei

Hmmm Now which of those two should I get? I haven't used the solder 'bulbs' but I have used the pumps. Maybe Haberdasher's suggestion?

jtn191

They operate on the same principle--I've liked the action on those "pump vacuums". Depending on shipping the one from Jameco is a bit cheaper. I'd say both are comparable--depends on if you have a local 'Shack and how quick you'd like it

derevaun

mgwhit

Those diodes look like 1S1588's.  (Pics at FSB.)  If they are, that's a nice score -- they're supposedly the original Tube Screamer clipping diode and the "distortion" clipping diode in the KoT -- somewhat hard to come by these days.  I just picked up some from Effects Connection and I gotta say I prefer them to 1n914's -- similar forward voltage, but a little less dark.

I wouldn't bother with the electrolytic caps.  Any of them over 10 years old are potentially drying out and drifting from spec.  Have fun!

raulduke

Quote from: mgwhit on July 21, 2012, 02:30:59 AM
Those diodes look like 1S1588's.  (Pics at FSB.)  If they are, that's a nice score -- they're supposedly the original Tube Screamer clipping diode and the "distortion" clipping diode in the KoT -- somewhat hard to come by these days.  I just picked up some from Effects Connection and I gotta say I prefer them to 1n914's -- similar forward voltage, but a little less dark.

I wouldn't bother with the electrolytic caps.  Any of them over 10 years old are potentially drying out and drifting from spec.  Have fun!

+1

The caps will have degraded over time so I would
Leave them where they are.

sgmezei

I know they are probably degraded but I will pull at least one so I can measure it with my cap tester. The big blue spragues just look so badass.....Damn.

Oh, and I purchased the desolder pump/wand from Jameco. First time ordering with them.

icecycle66

How do solder pumps and suckers work?

Doesn't the solder just resolidify in the mechanism?
Do you only get so many "pulls" with it, or do you clean them somehow?

jtn191

Quote from: icecycle66 on July 21, 2012, 05:43:28 PM
How do solder pumps and suckers work?

Doesn't the solder just resolidify in the mechanism?
Do you only get so many "pulls" with it, or do you clean them somehow?

Yes, it resolidifes but you can expel it out. Basically it's just suction that sucks the solder up. When you use an iron and a separate pump, it seems that there's too much time for the solder to cool. If you get a iron/pump it heats the solder until you suck it up

sgmezei

bigmufffuzzwizz

From that last batch of pictures I would pull the little monolithic multi layer ceramics (blue guys and yellow guys). They're a bit more expensive than your typical ceramic disc and they can be 1n/10n/100n/1uf. All the resistors should be fine but considering how cheap they are new, I'm not sure if its worth the time/effort unless your into that. I have always wanted purple colored resistors and you got them on there!!
Nice row of diodes. Pull a few out and try them in a circuit that's dependent on clipping.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

night-B

A nice row of diodes to salvage!

sgmezei

Okay I removed some caps, electrolytic and not. I know the electro's should not be used but they test as they should. I am using my cap meter and they are within what they are supposed to be. Is this weird? Or are they just not going to "perform" the right way.