News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Speaker suggestions?

Started by timbo_93631, February 17, 2012, 09:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo_93631

Yeah, Scumbacks were built by Weber on contract, but broken in and testd by Scumback's proprietor which was a good thing because some Webers make it out the door with problems.  However, Weber got word from their parts suppliers that Scumback was asking questions that made it seem like they were going to take Weber's design and outsource to a less expensive manufacturer so Weber pulled the plug on their relationship and now I dunno who is making Scumbacks.  Weber's Legacy Series are the same speakers that had been sold as Scumbacks, you can get the details if you wanna troll Weber's forums.

Still no word on my WGS G10C from the second source, order placed Saturday is still "processing" even though the money sure is gone from my Paypal account.  Maybe I should still be speaker shopping as I have already had two refunds and no speaker, maybe there is a speaker drought!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

timbo_93631

G10C is supposed to ship today.  I will put up a soundcloud file when it finally gets here.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jighead81

I just got a weber 10F150T in the mail, haven't tried it out yet but I'll let ya know.  I almost ordered a scumback.

timbo_93631

Yep, like a broken record...  So this G10C, the second one I ordered, and the 3rd speaker I have ordered didn't ship either.  I am really starting to wonder.  I found an Alnico Eminence Blue 10", what was in my '59 Bassman Reissue I had in the 90's, on eBay in Los Angeles so I bought it.  $60 with priority mail shipping was too good a deal to pass up.  I think I'll cut a new baffle on Saturday and run it and a Jensen 6x9 as a wacky twin.  The model of Supro I have came with either a Jensen ceramic 8, Alnico 8, or a ceramic 6x9.  Badged as a National or an English Tonemaster it came in a twin 6x9 configuration.  So a nod to 'ol mother Valco.  That is if I ever get the latest speaker ordered.  Will update when things are sorted.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

timbo_93631

What a saga.  So the Eminence Blue Alnico (basically on spec with a Legend 1028k) is a nice match with my amp, if I have some time this afternoon I am going to make my wacky twin baffle and try it paired with the Jensen 6x9.  I think it'll be a cone breakup festival.  G10C is actually, finally, on it's way for real.  Tracking number and everything.  
*EDIT*
Played at Church yesterday with the Eminence Blue.  At gig volume it had a kinda weak bottom end and the highs were a bit icepicky.  I guess with 4 of them in my old Bassman there was enough bottom and EQ contol to make it all groovy, but with the Supro which only has Volume and Tone it was harder to get the heavies to sound heavy.  WGS is coming today, I'll try it out and keep the Eminence Blue either way.  I also looked at Weber's recone prices and it is only $25 plus shipping there and back to get the Blue Pup reconed and all new moving parts.  I think I am going to have it rebuilt with the Silver Ten cone and an 8 ohm voice coil.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

timbo_93631

The G10C kills.  I am kind of speechless.  Just kills.  Soundcloud to follow later today.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

sgmezei

Good to hear man. I have been following this thread and it has been quite the saga.

timbo_93631

Hey Guys, audio is pretty bad/muddy.  Using my point-n-shoot camera's built in mic seems to cut highs and super compress the audio.  Like it is wearing a big pink fuzzy sweater.  Amp was set at about 40% volume, 100% Tone on "Standard" channel.  Just the start of breakup for this amp, my "clean" setting.  I really need to record things differently.  Just going through the pickup selections on the 'ol Twangmaster.  Neck is Artec Mini-Filtertron, Bridge is CVC Alnico V bridge pickup.  I hope some of the quality of the speaker shines through the drek.
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/timbo_93631/g10c[/soundcloud]
Sunday Handwound Pickups

timbo_93631

Quote from: sgmezei on March 13, 2012, 04:34:10 PM
Good to hear man. I have been following this thread and it has been quite the saga.
Thanks!  It was an ordeal for sure, but there is alot of good to come from it.  It made me think about a couple of things:

I need to build a backup amp based on my Supro in lunchbox head format.
An Alnico 2x10 (repaired Blue Pup and Eminence Blue) cab would be a nice thing to have waiting in the wings
WGS G10C was worth the hassle and the wait.  Very, very, worth the hassle and the wait.
Less frustration/grumpiness and more patience would probably have been better in this situation.
Gray Wolf my not have been what I was looking for, and God was just helping me dodge that bullet.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

timbo_93631

Took my amp to praise band practice last night.  I gotta say, in a 1x10 that WGS is a great all around speaker.  The bottom won't flub out, and the amp breaks up before the speaker does.  Just a killer sound for how I am using the amp.  I set it where playing hard produced a nice crunch, and playing more gingerly had things going at a warm but not driven sort of tone.  Kind of like playing a Marshall 18 watt, kick on the Rangemaster to push the preamp and great lead tones come to light.  Really really digging it.  Thanks for all the input and feedback along the way with this thread.
Sunday Handwound Pickups