News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda PCB Manufacture

Started by BuGG, December 19, 2013, 08:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaidee

So, has anyone actually received a quote from Tayda?

I sent them an email about 5 days before Xmas asking whether they could work with ExpressPCB files (admittedly a long shot) - as yet, no reply....

jimilee

Acc
Quote from: jaidee on December 30, 2013, 10:09:54 PM
So, has anyone actually received a quote from Tayda?

I sent them an email about 5 days before Xmas asking whether they could work with ExpressPCB files (admittedly a long shot) - as yet, no reply....
ording to my order, they're out of the office til about te 2nd.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

m-Kresol

I was generally wondering what your experiences with tayda are. From their homepage they act to be the saints of hobby electronics shipping asap, etc.
Do you guys often use this shop? As I'm from Austria I use musikding.de. I can strongly recommend them (for central european buyers at least), they've got a lot of stuff at reasonable prices, although the shipping outside of Germany is rather heavy.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jimilee

Frequently I use them for passives. Stomps can be hit or miss.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: m-Kresol on December 30, 2013, 10:42:28 PM
I was generally wondering what your experiences with tayda are. From their homepage they act to be the saints of hobby electronics shipping asap, etc.
Do you guys often use this shop? As I'm from Austria I use musikding.de. I can strongly recommend them (for central european buyers at least), they've got a lot of stuff at reasonable prices, although the shipping outside of Germany is rather heavy.

I find them to be a mixed bag.  I like buying their Alpha pots and I get breadboards from them

Most of their hardware is pretty bad and not worth using.  Their ceramic caps are some of the lowest grade you'll find, but they are cheap.  Their film caps work fine.  I avoid their electros but many report no issues with them.

I think I'm done with their diodes as I've had too many out of spec, some of which the labeling clearly doesn't match the known manufacturer's markings.  Their JFets are often fake as well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

m-Kresol

As I had no problems with supply lines yet (except for J201 which I got from Brian in the end with my PCBs), I guess I'll stick with my german supplier
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

BuGG

Just got a quote from Tayda for a batch of 10 boards (2" x 2", double sided)
The quoted price was over $100, all sorts of setup/artwork charges.     :o

I'm quite surprised, the exact same batch would be just over $20 from iTead...

juansolo

Quote from: pickdropper on December 30, 2013, 11:07:07 PM

I find them to be a mixed bag.  I like buying their Alpha pots and I get breadboards from them

Most of their hardware is pretty bad and not worth using.  Their ceramic caps are some of the lowest grade you'll find, but they are cheap.  Their film caps work fine.  I avoid their electros but many report no issues with them.

I think I'm done with their diodes as I've had too many out of spec, some of which the labeling clearly doesn't match the known manufacturer's markings.  Their JFets are often fake as well.

^this

Just stopped getting diodes from them too as they last two lots have been crap. Their J201's are fakes as you said also. A lot of their ICs are cheap and real though. So it tends to be those and pots we get from there now. Caps, resistors and diodes we source locally now.

Shame, and I hope they notice people stopping buying the shit that they've started stocking and then maybe, maybe some of these Chinese distributers will realise that people actually want some quality to the components. Selling fake stuff is just stupid though. That does no one any favours and damages their reputation.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

raulduke

Quote from: juansolo on January 10, 2014, 08:59:29 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on December 30, 2013, 11:07:07 PM

^this

Just stopped getting diodes from them too as they last two lots have been crap. Their J201's are fakes as you said also. A lot of their ICs are cheap and real though. So it tends to be those and pots we get from there now. Caps, resistors and diodes we source locally now.

Shame, and I hope they notice people stopping buying the shit that they've started stocking and then maybe, maybe some of these Chinese distributers will realise that people actually want some quality to the components. Selling fake stuff is just stupid though. That does no one any favours and damages their reputation.

Maybe, but if people keep on wanting components for as little as possible they will no doubt keep churning out the crap.

If they could stock a mother-load of real Fairchild J201's and 2N5457's, even with a price increase, they would no doubt sell like hot cakes.

rullywowr

I agree with the above.  I love Tayda for what they are, but you have to pick and choose what you want as not all of it is prime.  Kind of like shopping a discount chinese tool store.  If you order during the monthly 15% coupon code..it is like getting free shipping plus a little extra off.  Check with jimilee for more details (lol)  ;D

Stuff I like to order from Tayda:
-1590B/BB Enclosures (NS clones)
-Right angle alpha 16mm pots!  Yay.
-Bourns 3362 clone trimmers (good value and look/feel better than the cheap 2c ones)
-Film caps (check with your local supplier sometimes it is cheaper from Mouser especially ordering lots of 100+ etc..)
-Some knobs (small MXR, marshall, boss, OK...the davies clones kinda suck)
-Ceramic pF caps, they are cheap and brown but work OK.
-Resistors (work totally fine but have thin leads which some don't like).
-ICs...good value for TL072, TL071, 4558 etc.  Not bad at all.
-Charge pumps (TC1044SCPA) pretty good value here
-ATtiny85/ATmega328P - not a bad deal for you Arduino/Atmel freaks out there :)
-IC sockets (DIP-8 DIP16 etc) good value.  I like the cheap spring ones, never a problem
-SIP sockets (decent)
- 1x40 and 2x40 Header pins (if you use a lot, bulk is cheaper on eBay in lots of 200 pcs+)
- DIP switches
- DPDT/SPDT etc toggles.  They are just fine, but the short handle (short bat) are sexier from www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com
- 3PDT stomps...I don't have a problem with these but some report that they do
- Solid stranded color wire...good value but sometimes they come on a spool and sometimes come kinked in a bag...mixed here but works just fine

Stay away from...
-Their fake J201s (bleccch)
-Diodes can be hit or miss...best to try and get from a reputable supplier
-Electro caps...are "no name" ...it is about the same price as buying name brand from Mouser etc (Panasonic, Nichicon etc) and you can get shorter heights (5mm/7mm)
-1/4" Jacks are pretty cheaply made...all of em' actually.  I prefer to get legit Neutrik or Switchcraft if you care at all about the build

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

I got a bad batch of 78L05 regulators AND a bad batch of LM317 regulators from Tayda.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jubal81

"The food here tastes like gasoline and last time I ate here I had rectal bleeding for a week."
"But there's a coupon. And the Saltines are OK."
"I DO like Saltines ... "
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

GermanCdn

I'd agree with Ben's assessment, with the exception of the PCB mount stereo Neutrik style jacks (the ones that date back to when they only carried a couple of types), they're actually really nice, but all the rest of the jacks are crap.  That being said, when you buy the same price point knock offs from the other guys (looking at you Banzai), they are equally crap.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.