Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda PCB Manufacture

Started by BuGG, December 19, 2013, 08:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

pickdropper

I mostly agree with Ben, although I won't use their toggles in anything I expect to live.  I use them for bread boarding, though.

The TC1044 are actually cheaper at Mouser if you buy 10, so I just get them there.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on January 10, 2014, 05:42:17 PM
"The food here tastes like gasoline and last time I ate here I had rectal bleeding for a week."
"But there's a coupon. And the Saltines are OK."
"I DO like Saltines ... "

That reminds me of the old Woody Allen quote about the restaurant patrons that complained that the food was terrible and the portions were too small.

Function f(x)

juansolo

I put £135 worth of orders in yesterday. £15 of that was at Tayda. That says it all really.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

Quote from: rullywowr on January 10, 2014, 04:25:54 PM
-Some knobs (small MXR, marshall, boss, OK...the davies clones kinda suck)
- DPDT/SPDT etc toggles.  They are just fine, but the short handle (short bat) are sexier from www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com

-1/4" Jacks are pretty cheaply made...all of em' actually.  I prefer to get legit Neutrik or Switchcraft if you care at all about the build

I've got a bag of blue small MXR knobs that don't fit on any bloody pot :( so I ordered a few dozen knobs from Smallbear on my next order. The Marshall and Fender-y knobs are good, though. The Davies clones are a bit shonky, but they sort of work.

I looked at BLMS, a couple times. The shipping scared the crap out of me, though.

Their open frame jacks are pretty bad, yeah. Their Cliff-style jacks (the all plastic ones) are good, although it is annoying soldering to PCB pins.

I've used their power jacks on dozens of builds, but I'm starting to go off them. I'm sick of the damn nuts backing off and the jack going loose. (And you strip the threads if you even try to tighten them.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

aballen

I'm a fan of Tayda myself. 

I don't think its fair saying "their ??? is crap"  because the prices are so low.  If you want budget prices you are going to get budget product. 

When It comes to their ICs and passives their prices are great, and the product is just fine.  When it comes to some of the hardware, well I agree about the quality there, but they are priced accordingly.

Now if someone has some experience with the PCB service... speak up!

pickdropper

Quote from: aballen on January 10, 2014, 10:08:26 PM
I'm a fan of Tayda myself. 

I don't think its fair saying "their ??? is crap"  because the prices are so low.  If you want budget prices you are going to get budget product. 

When It comes to their ICs and passives their prices are great, and the product is just fine.  When it comes to some of the hardware, well I agree about the quality there, but they are priced accordingly.

Now if someone has some experience with the PCB service... speak up!

I think that is a reasonable take on it.    Basically, you get what you pay for.  I don't have a problem with calling the lower quality parts crap, though.  That lets others reading these threads realize that there is a quality compromise before they buy.  There are a few things I've gotten that I probably would've skipped if I had known what they were.

I've had generally good luck with their ICs, save for some Burr Brown ICs that I believe are probably fake.

Sometimes, using cheap hardware for a beater build just makes more sense.  I am sure most of us have done that from time to time.  I know that I would avoid paying for product if I knew it used some of the Tayda hardware, however.
Function f(x)

selfdestroyer

I think 70% of my parts came from Tayda last year since it was a cheap way to get started in this hobby. I have made dozens of great effect with all Tayda parts. But, I have also had to learn how to test some hardware before I use it or find it as a bad part in the troubleshooting process. I have received a few bad elec caps and a few out of range transistors but thats about it. The only thing I really stayed away from was their jacks and 3PDT switches.

atreidesheir

I bought a lot of Tayda's j201's last spring and have not tried them yet.  Anybody know exactly what they are?
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

pedalman

It will be interesting to see the quality of these boards. Madbeans ive never had a trace lift yet. Radio shack pcbs, forget it touch it twice and the trace curls right up. Only time will tell
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

BuGG

Quote from: aballen on January 10, 2014, 10:08:26 PMNow if someone has some experience with the PCB service... speak up!

At over $100 for 10 boards, you won't be hearing it from me.    ;)