News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Replaced pickups in a coworker's 78 LP Standard

Started by culturejam, July 04, 2014, 01:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

She's a beaut, Clark.

Never seen an actual "natural" finish in person. It's quite nice. And the back is gorgeous. I'm jealous.  :o ;D

Took out the EMG actives (yuck) that were in there and put in Duncans (JB and Jazz). I also put back in the original pots and shielding cup and left as much original wiring as possible.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

GermanCdn

Nice birdseye top.  Why people insist on putting EMGs in LPs is beyond me.  I blame Zakk Wylde.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

culturejam

My shitty phone pic doesn't do it justice. It's a subtle but really beautiful top.

Quote from: GermanCdn on July 04, 2014, 01:14:20 AM
Why people insist on putting EMGs in LPs is beyond me.  I blame Zakk Wylde.

My coworker is a total metal nut. I mean, I like metal, but this guy is certified metal-insane. He still has the original PAFs that were in the guitar, and I begged him to let me put those back in, but he was adamant about the Duncans. They do sound good,  I must admit, but I really want to hear those older original buckers in this beast.

BTW, this bitch weighs like 11 pounds. No weight relief or swiss cheese drilling on this body. It's SOLID.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

Ironbird13 (he does my demos on youtube that have GOOD playing) can make anything sound metal.

He can make my stock-pickup'ed Squier Strat Vintage Modified sound metal through my 5E3, with NO pedals.

Well, except for the 5E8A. You'd go deaf before that thing distorts, in a suburban house with neighbours you actually like.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Don't diss EMGs until you've tried the Het set or the 57/66 set. Gone is the scoop and compression. Just really clear, silent, passive sounding pickups. I really like them. They've shocked everyone who's tried them to date.

Plus, if you want to do thrash, the old 81/60 set is the way to go. Always amuses me on the BKP site when people come on asking for a BKP that'll get the Hetfield tone...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

raulduke

Lovely guitar. Nice and simple looking.

Ticks all the boxes for me!

Looks in great shape for a guitar over 30 years old too.