News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Volume pedals

Started by m-Kresol, July 08, 2014, 07:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying a volume pedal this week (it's been tremedously shitty so far concerning work, so I need a cheer-up and I always wanted one ;)).
Any recommendations in an affordable price range?

cheers
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

alanp

If you get a high impedance one, the Output jack works well as an expression pedal for Lovetone stuff.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

m-Kresol

Good call. I'll keep that in mind!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Muadzin

AMT from Russia has those really small ones, like their WH-1 wah pedals, if pedal board space is at a premium. Mind you it does need power, so it will cost you one additional power connection as well.

the3secondrule

ernie ball VP Jr has a nice action and sweep. Can't compare it to anything else, as it's all I've tried.

Pro tip - you can usually pick them up cheap with broken string/spring assemblies, which are readily available.
Pro tip #2 - the replacement of the string/sping kit usually involves a great deal of swearing  ;)
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

flanagan0718

Quote from: the3secondrule on July 08, 2014, 09:56:08 AM
Pro tip #2 - the replacement of the string/sping kit usually involves a great deal of swearing  ;)

How true this is. HAHA! I have used the Ernie Ball VPJR it is a nice Volume pedal. I have also used the Dulop High Gain Volume pedal. This one is nice too! Both are similar (sweep wise) but the VPJR is a little smaller. The Dunlop is in the same enclosure as the crybaby. It also has the same style pot set-up (gear with tooth rack). I found this to be a bit more reliable than the string and spring system. BUT, that being said I am currently using a EB from the 70's with the string and spring system. So, I would say either the Ernie ball or the Dunlop would be a nice affordable choice.

blearyeyes

I have the EB too. They have added a gain circuit to the new ones.

irmcdermott

I just got an Ernie Ball MVP to try out. i like it so far.

Chi_Boy

So, are volume pedals generally passive or active?   I thought I read once that at least one example out there was just a single pot in a wha shell, but from this chat it sounds like many are more like a clean boost.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Chi_Boy on July 09, 2014, 11:50:22 AM
So, are volume pedals generally passive or active?   I thought I read once that at least one example out there was just a single pot in a wha shell, but from this chat it sounds like many are more like a clean boost.

I wouldn't think of it as a clean boost, Think of it like an external volume pot for your guitar. Volume pedals for the most part are passive. Some like the Visual sound, Morley, and EHX ones require power, but most of those are either dual function (Wah/Volume) or have LEDs or other features. The ones being recomended here (the Ernie Ball and Dunlop High Gain Volume <- by me) are not far off from a input and output with a pot in between. Here is a picture of mine (ernieball) so you can get an idea of them. This one is ancient but it has the easiest workings. **not my actual pedal but the same model**