News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Workbench Cleverness

Started by Leevibe, February 15, 2014, 07:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

Not exactly workbench related, but I thought this was a pretty clever idea. I do worship music with a lot of players who have a few pedals but can't justify buying a board or don't have the woodworking skills to build one. I think this is a great solution for people just getting started with effects or for a practice rig.

http://tonereport.com/blogs/do-it-yourself/hack-your-rig-building-a-pedalboard-for-under-15

peAk

I have had a lot of success with a pcb clamp that's spins 180 and electrical tape. I'll add in the helping hands for wires.

Leevibe

Genuine Bostik Blu-Tack ordered from Amazon! Thank you Chromesphere for opening my mind! I also ordered this diy capacitance meter kit. Thank you Haberdasher! I can't wait for these and I can't believe I'm spending as much on blue putty as on electronic test equipment.

chromesphere

No worries Lee!  I encourage anyone else that hasn't tried it to give it a go.  For 99% of the soldering I do, I find blu tack much faster then helping hands and even more versatile!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

gjcamann

Quote from: Leevibe on February 21, 2014, 05:39:20 PM
Not exactly workbench related, but I thought this was a pretty clever idea. I do worship music with a lot of players who have a few pedals but can't justify buying a board or don't have the woodworking skills to build one. I think this is a great solution for people just getting started with effects or for a practice rig.

http://tonereport.com/blogs/do-it-yourself/hack-your-rig-building-a-pedalboard-for-under-15

I picked up a couple of these at Ikea, but they're pretty flimsy. They flex alot when you step on the pedal. I was super excited about this too :-(

Leevibe

Quote from: gjcamann on March 11, 2014, 11:55:38 AM
Quote from: Leevibe on February 21, 2014, 05:39:20 PM

I picked up a couple of these at Ikea, but they're pretty flimsy. They flex alot when you step on the pedal. I was super excited about this too :-(

Aw nuts. Oh well, that's Ikea: almost good.

Leevibe

Quote from: chromesphere on March 11, 2014, 11:03:38 AM
No worries Lee!  I encourage anyone else that hasn't tried it to give it a go.  For 99% of the soldering I do, I find blu tack much faster then helping hands and even more versatile!

Paul, you should add Blu Tack to your store! I wonder if you could sell/ship to the US cheaper than we can get it on Amazon. I just paid $9 for 3.2 ounces.

alanp

Always cracks me up to hear people talk about "ounces". (It's mainly drug dealers that work in ounces, here.)

I just get blu-tac from the local bookshop, here.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on March 11, 2014, 04:05:48 PM
Always cracks me up to hear people talk about "ounces". (It's mainly drug dealers that work in ounces, here.)

I just get blu-tac from the local bookshop, here.

Now that the BT lore is really gaining momentum, you should buy a bunch and start up a worldwide cartel! Especially since you have the good, uncut stuff down there.

Speaking of lore, I heard that Blu Tack was used to hold the JRC chip into the Maxon board in SRV's original TS808. The true JRC4558D chips can be identified by the blue residue. All else are crap.

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Leevibe on March 11, 2014, 04:13:12 PM
Speaking of lore, I heard that Blu Tack was used to hold the JRC chip into the Maxon board in SRV's original TS808. The true JRC4558D chips can be identified by the blue residue. All else are crap.

Blue Tack=Toaannn.  ;D
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

chromesphere

Quote from: Leevibe on March 11, 2014, 03:17:35 PM
Quote from: chromesphere on March 11, 2014, 11:03:38 AM

Paul, you should add Blu Tack to your store! I wonder if you could sell/ship to the US cheaper than we can get it on Amazon. I just paid $9 for 3.2 ounces.

I think this goes beyond just my little webstore.  It should become the responsibility of every government to supply every household in the world with as much blu tack as they require.  It is the most handy material for a huge range of reasons.

May I ask some of our US friends a question?  How do you stick a poster to your wall without blu tack?  :o  Or do you just use the cheap stuff?

davent

When i was a kid in NA the schools had something they called sticky tac a much coveted item by us school kids, was white rather then blue.

Isn't Bostick, the BluTac parent company, Australian?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

chromesphere

Quote from: davent on March 12, 2014, 12:58:14 AM

Yes and I own half the company....I've been busted....

seriously though i'm not sure, typing in 'bostick' brings up bostick.com.au as the first result so I guess that's a yes?  Maybe this is why its hard for your guys to find it?

Leevibe

Quote from: chromesphere on March 12, 2014, 01:01:25 AM
Quote from: davent on March 12, 2014, 12:58:14 AM

Yes and I own half the company....I've been busted....

seriously though i'm not sure, typing in 'bostick' brings up bostick.com.au as the first result so I guess that's a yes?  Maybe this is why its hard for your guys to find it?

Yep. But apparently it's readily available in Europe too.

blearyeyes

I looked all over for Blu Tac in California. No luck..Best I found was Blu Stik....Works great. Best tip ever. Cost me $2 US for several oz, or about five sticks.. A ball is about 1/4 of a stick so enough to last a while..
Home Depot carries it.