News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tascam to release new type ii cassettes next month

Started by harryklippton, January 09, 2022, 12:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryklippton

Reportedly not new old stock but a new formulation. Not a standard run, just limited edition and sales are restricted to US only.

I've never had any type ii cassettes to run in my tascam machines so I'm curious about this. It would be great if they were somewhat regularly available, otherwise I'll stick to my stash of type I.

https://tascam.com/us/product/424/top

jimilee

Now, we just needs some recorders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

If tascam put out a new 4 track cassette recorder and I had the scratch, I'd buy it!

gordo

Aside from the obvious analog/digital argument isn't a DAW easier to deal with?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

harryklippton

I use a DAW too sometimes, and DAWless digital recorders too. All depends on what I feel like doing. Sometimes I think using a DAW adds complication that isn't necessary

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Betty Wont

My Tascam Porta 02 from the mid 90s still works great. I love the fuzz you can get from overloading the levels with bass.

matmosphere

Quote from: Betty Wont on January 09, 2022, 04:22:12 AM
My Tascam Porta 02 from the mid 90s still works great. I love the fuzz you can get from overloading the levels with bass.

Check out the MidFi Electronics Demo Tape Fuzz. It really nails that sound.

Quote from: gordo on January 09, 2022, 12:58:38 AM
Aside from the obvious analog/digital argument isn't a DAW easier to deal with?

I'm with mr. Klippton, DAWs make thing far more complicated and that's not always good. My favorite stuff I've recorded was done on a Fostex eight track that was a digital standalone thing. I've never really bothered learning a lot about any DAW so there is just a lot of features that get in the way.

jimilee

I'll throw this example out there. The foo fighters, according to an interview with Grohl, had an album all recorded and done. It sounded good but cold and sterile. They trashed it and re-recorded it on tape. He said it captured the warmth that only tape has.

If you think about it, that's why we're building analog and not totally digital. I was at first, but switched for similar reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

I recorded this on my 424 last year as a goof for my friend's birthday.

I couldn't make the embed work for some reason. Not real familiar with SoundCloud yet

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/raDLn

danfrank

People would be very surprised at the audio quality from cassette decks that were made right before the industry put the kybosh on them. Quality very close to the best CDs but none of that cold sterility of digital. Mr Foo was right!

matmosphere

Quote from: harryklippton on January 09, 2022, 04:28:50 PM
I recorded this on my 424 last year as a goof for my friend's birthday.

I couldn't make the embed work for some reason. Not real familiar with SoundCloud yet

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/raDLn

Ha, that's great! It's like the Talking Heads covering Bruce Sprinteen!

Bret608

Yes it is! I hear hints of Sweet Jane by Velvet Underground as well.

pickdropper

I'm going to buck the trend and be the only one that doesn't understand the current nostalgia towards cassette tapes, which I consider an extremely flawed format.

I'm all for good analog.  Vinyl, tubes, reel-to-reel, all can sound great.  But cassette tapes?  No thank you.

I logged endless hours on my Tascam 424 and it was loads of fun in high school, but there are so many better options out there now.

Wasn't Grohl's analog switch to reel-to-reel?  That's an entirely different animal.  30IPS R2R is AMAZING.  Impractical for most, but wonderful. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

matmosphere

Quote from: pickdropper on January 11, 2022, 10:55:19 PM
I'm going to buck the trend and be the only one that doesn't understand the current nostalgia towards cassette tapes, which I consider an extremely flawed format.

I'm all for good analog.  Vinyl, tubes, reel-to-reel, all can sound great.  But cassette tapes?  No thank you.

I logged endless hours on my Tascam 424 and it was loads of fun in high school, but there are so many better options out there now.

Wasn't Grohl's analog switch to reel-to-reel?  That's an entirely different animal.  30IPS R2R is AMAZING.  Impractical for most, but wonderful. 
Quote from: pickdropper on January 11, 2022, 10:55:19 PM

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I think it's somewhat a nostalgia thing. Cassette, IMO, can sound pretty good. I had a million at one point just cause I'd get them at yard sales and thrift shops as a way to get cheap music in the pre-internet streaming days. To me it's the perfect medium for a car, or it was at the time. Didn't skip, wouldn't melt (often).

As far as multitracking, I think 4 tracks could sound pretty decent but eight was really pushing it.