News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dragonhound LM308 substitute

Started by djaaz, January 24, 2024, 11:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djaaz

Hi all,
Not ready nor willing to pay for a LM308 that i have no guarantee to be  genuine.

I've seen a glass mod with a ne5534.
What would be other substitute to stick to the general idea of the pedal?

gordo

Didn't realize they'd got that spendy.  Wow.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

mauman

OP07 replaced the LM308 in several Rat models, but they're also obsolete.  You may be able to find either a 308 or an OP07 in SMD and use an adapter board to fit your DIP layout.  UTSource sells used DIP LM308, and if you buy them from the UTsource store and not one of their 3rd party vendors, sometimes they guarantee authenticity.  They also carry OP07. 

jimilee

Quote from: djaaz on January 24, 2024, 11:50:56 PM
Hi all,
Not ready nor willing to pay for a LM308 that i have no guarantee to be  genuine.

I've seen a glass mod with a ne5534.
What would be other substitute to stick to the general idea of the pedal?

Here you go.

https://stompboxparts.com/integrated-circuits-ics-/op07cp-opamp-ic/
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

derevaun

If you can find an LM307 or LM301, they're close IMO. The 301 needs the same 30pf cap, and the 307 doesn't care about it. People say the 301 is mellower than 308, but I don't hear a difference when playing. If I wanted gnarly, I'd go for a CA3130.

AS301, a new production LM301: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/op-amp-as301an-alfa-single-8-pin-dip

djaaz

Thanks guys,
I have a TL071, a LF351 in stock and ordered a (still pricey) OP07 & ne5534.
I'll see what i like and stock a couple.

If you have more idea, i'll take them.

gordo

I'm still on the fence about butting into a group buy over at PPCB so will send you one if I do.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on January 27, 2024, 02:46:38 AM
I'm still on the fence about butting into a group buy over at PPCB so will send you one if I do.
Wait, what? How did I miss that?

The TL071 is really the only one where I can hear a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

djaaz

Quote from: gordo on January 27, 2024, 02:46:38 AM
Thanks mate.
I'm not much worried, i built an alpha dog & rat so i've got the "real" thing covered, for this one pretty sure something will get me close.