News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question for those that teach guitar

Started by jimilee, April 27, 2018, 06:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: Willybomb on April 29, 2018, 01:10:10 PM
I'd try and get into a band Jimi.  Learn those songs you think you hate.  Play out in a pub somewhere and have some fun with it.
It's hard to wing it while you're learning when you're fronting a band I would think. I'm learning songs here at home, and when I get good enough to at least sound like an awful guitar player, I'd be confidant. As for playing in bars, I've done my time as a bassist lead singer, I can't stay up that late, hurts too much the next day! I would love to get a group to jam with regularly though. Jon made a good point though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

Quote from: midwayfair on April 29, 2018, 02:14:05 AM
I wouldn't discourage someone from learning theory, but blues and jazz area lot of vocabulary of licks placed into some improvisational context. Learning a new scale will not help you improvise better.
Plus, Locrian mode will just make you sound horribly depressing.   ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

woolie

Quote from: EBK on April 29, 2018, 04:59:21 PM
I wouldn't discourage someone from learning theory, but blues and jazz area lot of vocabulary of licks placed into some improvisational context. Learning a new scale will not help you improvise better.

YYZ?!?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jimilee

Quote from: woolie on April 29, 2018, 05:22:25 PM

YYZ?!?!

Sure, why not a little Alex Lifeson?

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

woolie

Quote from: jimilee on April 29, 2018, 05:23:31 PM
Quote from: woolie on April 29, 2018, 05:22:25 PM

YYZ?!?!

Sure, why not a little Alex Lifeson?

I've spent the last 35 years studying and attempting to learn Rush. Clearly not enough.

I gave to admit that performances hold no interest for me. I love to learn for learning's sake. I'm weird.