News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eagle CAD - End of Life in 2026

Started by culturejam, June 07, 2023, 05:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

madbean

Yeah, this is what Autodesk does. Buys em up then eventually kills the software. They did the same thing with my favorite 3D program, Softimage.

jimilee

Well what are we supposed to do? They gettin out of the CAD business?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

I wonder if folks using KiCAD over yhe freemiun Eagle is getting to them.

Also there's one other program above Eagle (don't recall the name) that has a five figure (top end) license fee, which is amazing, but maybe it's just that far ahead that Autodesk wants to cut its losses?

KiCAD doesn't seem like the worst GPL program ever written, but it didn't seem intuitive during my brief foray. tried it once, but just stuck with Eagle. Maybe it's time to "find" an offline version of Eagle and stick with that.

Or we do the legal thing and move to KiCAD  : P

Whatever we move to, it'll have to be Windows 11 compliant, because win10 goes EOL in 2025

culturejam

Quote from: jessenator on June 07, 2023, 06:57:52 PM
Also there's one other program above Eagle (don't recall the name) that has a five figure (top end) license fee, which is amazing, but maybe it's just that far ahead that Autodesk wants to cut its losses?

You might be talking about Altium. But I honestly don't think even Eagle's highest-priced option is in the same ballpark as Altium. Probably not the reason.

The likeliest reason is that they want you to migrate to Fusion360.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

Quote from: jessenator on June 07, 2023, 06:57:52 PM
I wonder if folks using KiCAD over yhe freemiun Eagle is getting to them.

KiCAD doesn't seem like the worst GPL program ever written, but it didn't seem intuitive during my brief foray. tried it once, but just stuck with Eagle. Maybe it's time to "find" an offline version of Eagle and stick with that.

Or we do the legal thing and move to KiCAD  : P

Whatever we move to, it'll have to be Windows 11 compliant, because win10 goes EOL in 2025
And Mac compatible.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

I'd been clinging to 7.3 Eagle for ages, but recently took up EasyEDA and couldn't be more impressed. It's very similar, but with features that make it so much easier to use. Also, it supports importing anything from Eagle, including projects and libraries.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

madbean

I'd love to go to Altium but I don't see it ever happening. I could pretty much use Eagle 7.5 for the next 10 years without issue. Jeez, I'm even sick of paying for the Adobe Master Suite. I've probably put over $6k into it and I still don't own the goddam software!

jessenator

I have a perma-offline workstation with a pre CC version. I refuse to sub unless work provides it. Yeah, newer versions have features I miss in the old, but it's bare minimum and that's what I need.

gordo

I gotta check out EasyEDA.  I've install DIPTrace and KiCAD and struggled with both.  Although to be fair I approached it like I'd be a wizard in a few sessions.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: jessenator on June 08, 2023, 01:44:07 AM
I have a perma-offline workstation with a pre CC version. I refuse to sub unless work provides it. Yeah, newer versions have features I miss in the old, but it's bare minimum and that's what I need.
Same here. I use it all the time.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on June 08, 2023, 12:09:20 AM
I'd love to go to Altium but I don't see it ever happening. I could pretty much use Eagle 7.5 for the next 10 years without issue. Jeez, I'm even sick of paying for the Adobe Master Suite. I've probably put over $6k into it and I still don't own the goddam software!
Is 7.5 an offline version

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on June 08, 2023, 01:52:59 AM
I gotta check out EasyEDA.  I've install DIPTrace and KiCAD and struggled with both.  Although to be fair I approached it like I'd be a wizard in a few sessions.
I started with easy EDA because it was really intuitive and I could work on stuff while I was at work without having to install software. I switched to eagle because it was used a lot here.

vattern

I changed from Eagle to KiCad a while ago, and found that once I got used to the way things are done in KiCad I became just as unproductive in KiCad as I had been in Eagle.
The biggest mind shift was that packages are separate from symbols. So part of the round trip is to assign what package I want for the symbol ( a lot of the newer ones have a default package selected now ).

derevaun

Weird, I had just sat down to learn Diptrace a couple days ago and decided I need a good reason first. But it's really the second shoe dropping after Autodesk bought it. I steer my students away from their stuff because it's an unwise investment of time and learning, except for AutoCAD I guess.

It will be interesting to see how Adafruit and Sparkfun react to the news. Their communities, along with especially this one, were the main reasons I bothered to learn Eagle. As long as 7.x continues to work, I'm good, but it seems like EasyEDA is worth exploring rather than learn another byzantine library management system for KiCAD or Diptrace. Looking at EasyEDA's feature list, the free version doesn't have DRC?