News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

All those polarized caps in the Sunking

Started by midwayfair, June 27, 2012, 03:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I'm perffing one of these up (just finished the layout), and I'm wondering about all those 1uF electrolytics in the audio path. Is there a reason they're all polarized?

I'm specifically curious about the two surrounding the diodes at the "out" of the OD section and the "in" of the boost. Does using polarized caps there instead of box caps do something special with diodes in any way? I have an idea brewing right now, and it would be nice to know if it has some special effect so it can be transferred to other circuits.

jkokura

I've been told that it pretty much doesn't matter if you use polarized or non polarized caps in pedals. I imagine they're used there because that's what was used in the original, and why they were used is a mystery we'll never know. I suggest you socket and/or breadboard and experiment for yourself.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

Quote from: jkokura on June 27, 2012, 05:03:26 PM
I've been told that it pretty much doesn't matter if you use polarized or non polarized caps in pedals. I imagine they're used there because that's what was used in the original, and why they were used is a mystery we'll never know. I suggest you socket and/or breadboard and experiment for yourself.

Jacob

Cool, thanks. This is what I expected. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a possibility here that it had something to do with blocking the diodes off or some completely esoteric nonsense, or, more importantly, if it had something to do with the different voltages of the two halves of the pedal. This really is two pedals in one, not cascaded stages like most pedals.

I do know that there's at least one design (I can't remember what pedal) where a polarized cap was necessary in the audio path to prevent sound from going backward or something. But it was a modulation effect of some sort, I believe.

gtr2

It was probably done solely for cost reasons.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jubal81

I've gone to all multi-layer ceramics for 1 uFs. Tiny and simple.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

Quote from: jubal81 on June 27, 2012, 08:55:04 PM
I've gone to all multi-layer ceramics for 1 uFs. Tiny and simple.

Me too, except when box caps just look cooler. But that's mostly because of my 1590A addiction ....

Quote from: gtr2 on June 27, 2012, 08:29:40 PM
It was probably done solely for cost reasons.

Giggle.