News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Project Guitar. Looking for suggestions.

Started by billstein, January 02, 2014, 11:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Just found a used Squire Affinity Strat on Craigs list for $100. It was near my house so I thought I'd pick it up as a project guitar. Something I can use to learn how to work on guitar without harming my real axes.

It's definitely cheap but I expected that, but there might be some potential here. The neck and the action is OK. The frets need some dressing so I'll use this to learn how to do that.

So the challenge:  Turn this guitar into something decent if that is possible. I know there are a lot of creative guys here. So any suggestions?

TreeSlayer

"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

pryde

Sure thing. I learned the ropes on cheap guitars (before and during luthier training) before hacking up good ones  ;)

For fret dressing do you want to do a complete fret level, crown, and polish? Gonna need some proper tools for that (mainly crowning file). You can crown with a triangle file but it is a long learning curve.

What kind of tools do you have?

billstein

billstein

Quote from: pryde on January 02, 2014, 11:36:55 PM
Sure thing. I learned the ropes on cheap guitars (before and during luthier training) before hacking up good ones  ;)

For fret dressing do you want to do a complete fret level, crown, and polish? Gonna need some proper tools for that (mainly crowning file). You can crown with a triangle file but it is a long learning curve.

I don't have anything at this point. I'm willing to purchase some. Between my wife and I we have 8 guitars so it would be nice to learn how to do some of this myself.

TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

TreeSlayer

the tele is here at the house. it plays like a dream! the strat hasn't arrived yet, but if it's half as good as the tele, i'll be tickled pink!

pryde

Quote from: billstein on January 02, 2014, 11:58:45 PM

I don't have anything at this point. I'm willing to purchase some. Between my wife and I we have 8 guitars so it would be nice to learn how to do some of this myself.

I can help you with decisions on fret tools (or other luthier tools) you want to consider. Actually I have a pretty much brand-new fret crowning file from stew-mac I would sell cheap to get you started on your collection.

I recently upgraded to diamond crowning files (i.e. very expensive) and have extra steel files that are near-new

At any rate, ask away if you have any questions.

billstein

Quote from: pryde on January 03, 2014, 12:24:10 AM
Quote from: billstein on January 02, 2014, 11:58:45 PM

I can help you with decisions on fret tools (or other luthier tools) you want to consider. Actually I have a pretty much brand-new fret crowning file from stew-mac I would sell cheap to get you started on your collection.

I recently upgraded to diamond crowning files (i.e. very expensive) and have extra steel files that are near-new

At any rate, ask away if you have any questions.

Thank you Pryde that's very kind of you. What do you suggest I need?  I did go onto Stew-Macs site to look around and it was pretty overwhelming for a newbie like me. It seems I could spend a lot of money on things I might not need. I'm not going to be doing this for a living so I want to be careful what I spend, at the same time I like being independent and being able to do my own work.

Probably the weakest point on the guitar is the electronics. I was thinking about replacing these and maybe playing with some on-board toys like trying to jam something like a fatpants in there.

To be honest my plan is to replace everything over the long haul with quality parts (Pickups, tuners, switches etc.). Parts I can use now but move to a nicer body and neck over time when killer deals come along. It may take a few years to end up with a killer guitar, but it will be one that I've put together and along the way I'll be learning and experimenting on the cheaper stuff. I also have a cheap Les Paul copy that will eventually go under the knife as part of the learning curve. :)

So I'm looking for advice on every aspect of improving the guitar. Anybody have any suggestions for pickups?

A long winded answer. Sorry.

pryde

The "right" tools do depend on your goals and needs of course. No sense in spending a ton on things you may hardly ever use. Really fretwork can/is expensive in terms of time investment and tools to do it for a living (as I do). BUT, if you want to learn to do fret leveling for personal use it is a good skill to have for your own benefit. The only "dedicated/unique" tool I recommend is the crowning file. All other aspects of the fret-dress job can be done with common tools/items: leveling block, sandpaper (250-1500 grit graduated), 0000 steel wool.

pedalman

GFS (guitarfetish.com) has a TON of upgrade parts. Affinitys have a thinner body so some parts wont work properly without a little yankee innovation. For example, the tremolo block is one of the better upgrades you can do to a squire. Stock ones are crap pot metal and taper down to about 1/4", the GFS blocks are solid steel or brass and are about 5/8" all the way down. Problem is they stick out the back just a tad. So what I did was to to the plumbing dept of your local hardware store and get some rubber faucet washers, put these between the body and back plate. The washers will act as a stand off for the plate and give you the proper clearance. Come on over and join the forum at www.squier-talk.com we have tons of mods going on from strats to teles and helpful ideas
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

billstein

Quote from: pryde on January 03, 2014, 04:06:01 AM
The "right" tools do depend on your goals and needs of course. No sense in spending a ton on things you may hardly ever use. Really fretwork can/is expensive in terms of time investment and tools to do it for a living (as I do). BUT, if you want to learn to do fret leveling for personal use it is a good skill to have for your own benefit. The only "dedicated/unique" tool I recommend is the crowning file. All other aspects of the fret-dress job can be done with common tools/items: leveling block, sandpaper (250-1500 grit graduated), 0000 steel wool.

The more I play it the less alien it feels. It really isn't that bad. The frets are sharp and should be finished and it could definitely be set up better. The action is a little high when you get up to about the 10th fret. Is that adjustment done with the truss rod or?

billstein

Quote from: pedalman on January 03, 2014, 07:18:44 AM
GFS (guitarfetish.com) has a TON of upgrade parts. Affinitys have a thinner body so some parts wont work properly without a little yankee innovation. For example, the tremolo block is one of the better upgrades you can do to a squire. Stock ones are crap pot metal and taper down to about 1/4", the GFS blocks are solid steel or brass and are about 5/8" all the way down. Problem is they stick out the back just a tad. So what I did was to to the plumbing dept of your local hardware store and get some rubber faucet washers, put these between the body and back plate. The washers will act as a stand off for the plate and give you the proper clearance. Come on over and join the forum at www.squier-talk.com we have tons of mods going on from strats to teles and helpful ideas

Thanks Pedalman. I did go over to check out that site, it looks like there is some great info there. Did you change out the electronics in your guitar?

rullywowr

That's a great platform for learning to wrench on guitars.  As long as a guitar stays in tune, is intonated correctly, and has a good fretjob (level etc)...it's a good guitar no matter where it's made.

In order of suggested tweaks
1) Level, dress, polish frets (minimal cost, mostly tools)
2) Basic setup - intonation (free)
3) Locking tuners...love these as the staggered ones can let you get rid of string trees  (about $40)
4) Upgrade bridge
5) Pickup/electronics replacement (GFS has some pretty good pickups for cheap)
6) Upgrade Nut (graphtech or other low friction)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

pedalman

Quote from: billstein on January 04, 2014, 04:29:10 AM
Quote from: pedalman on January 03, 2014, 07:18:44 AM

Thanks Pedalman. I did go over to check out that site, it looks like there is some great info there. Did you change out the electronics in your guitar?

LOL...The only thing stock is the body and neck. I found a guy on ebay that hand winds pickups. Do a search on ebay for "Pink Tone pickups"
It says David Gilmour black strat all over the tone. love em
That's just one of my projects. Got 2 others on the bench as we speek. Doing a SRV and I have a blue strat undergoing a huge makeover
its just another addiction. We have John Deere paint at work, now im thinking green strat, yellow pg & green covers and knobs. LOL
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.