News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Parts caster ahoy and some never ending discussions...

Started by cooder, January 25, 2022, 07:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Interesting video here well done me thinks.
It will be a never ending discussion and a encouragement for partscasters let it rip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n02tImce3AE
BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

That is a very interesting video and just a whole helluva lot of editing, kudos to that guy.

gordo

What a crazy great comparison.  I always wished someone would do this with Mercury Magnetics transformers in amps.  In all cases I liked the alternatives vs the Anderson.  I've always wanted to build a guitar out of 2x4's including the neck but never had the chance to do so.  My 71 strat is the best example of a strat I've ever played.  I've chalked that up to being dried out wood with a completely destroyed finish.  But it's been so totally butchered with SD/DiMarzio pickups and Ghost bridge it's a moot point.  Completely worthless from a collector point of view but capable of Electric, Acoustic, Synth capabilities at the same time.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jkokura

I think I've always known what this video aims to prove, but I never could quite put it into words.

I will say that craftsmanship and materials go a long way into making an instrument more playable and enjoyable. But perhaps the wood species has had much less of an impact on electric instruments than we've always wanted to believe.

I mean, a maple fretboard might sound identical to a rosewood or ebony fretboard, but it feels different in my hands, you know? I like one more, I feel more comfortable with one over the other, and so I do sound better on one. It has less to do with the material sounding different, at least this video suggest that it's more about other things than I've always thought.

Thanks for sharing this man,

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

matmosphere

Quote from: jkokura on January 26, 2022, 11:45:05 PM

I mean, a maple fretboard might sound identical to a rosewood or ebony fretboard, but it feels different in my hands, you know? I like one more, I feel more comfortable with one over the other, and so I do sound better on one. It has less to do with the material sounding different, at least this video suggest that it's more about other things than I've always thought.

This is a very interesting observation, I hadn't considered that. Hardware can also makes a difference in playability, so I suppose the same argument would hold with that as well.

Haven't watched this whole video yet, but am pretty sure what the result will be. Watched one on pickups a few years back that basically came to the conclusion that if you put Les Paul pickups in a Telecaster it will just sound like a Les Paul, if you put Strat pickups on an SG it will just sound like a Strat and so on.

Not to mention amps, amp EQ, overdrive, effects, and throwing things into a mix with a band. Any tiny nuance you might hear between one type of wood or another will disappear.

Muadzin

There are so many variables that go into an electrical guitar tone that can influence why 2 guitars of the same exact model with different wood can sound subtlety different. Just the tolerance drift on your pickups and pots alone. Thing is though, wood is not a filter, tubes are not a filter. Your EQ is a filter, pickups are a filter, and your speakers most definitely act as a filter. You want to change your electric guitar sound, I reckon EQ, both amps and pedals, pickups and your cab speakers should be your main focus. Not paying premium price for rare tonewood with snake oil properties. The fun thing of having an Axe-FX is that I can cycle a loop playing a riff through endless IR's with different cabs and speaker combos. And the differences in sounds are MASSIVE!

Tremster

Fantastic video!

(... but but but nitro finish! Tone Wood! Cryo treatment! NOS electronics! Scatterwound handwound pickups! Magic cables! ....)

gordo

I'm still convinced too that neck woods are partly psychological.  I think of maple boards as being snappier sounding, but is that because I think it or I actually hear it.  And how did you get the rippling effect in these walls???
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Muadzin

Quote from: gordo on January 27, 2022, 11:16:23 PM
I'm still convinced too that neck woods are partly psychological.  I think of maple boards as being snappier sounding, but is that because I think it or I actually hear it.  And how did you get the rippling effect in these walls???

We think things like that because we listen to things with our preconceived minds looking for validation. That is why blind tests are the only way to go. And also we are pattern recognition animals. Are minds are hardwire to notice things. Hmm, blue berries make Unga Bunga ill, maybe blue berries are poison? Being able to discern which foods could kill you and how big predators hunt you were life saving abilities. But it also causes us to hear and see patterns that aren't there. Like tonewood, magical NOS transistors and probably supernatural deities too.

neve1272

i love this thank you for posting...that tone wood war on the interwebs a few years ago :'(
Kip