News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fatpants v2 for bass guitar..

Started by hammerheadmusicman, September 24, 2012, 10:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

Hi guys, first post :/

I have built a few of these fatpants v2 pedals now, and I have to say, they are just the bomb, I play custom shop Relic 61' strat through a dr z Maz 18rvb, and I have to say the clean sound I get with just the fat pants inline is superb!

My question is this, a friend has asked me if I could build him one for has bass guitar (5 string) as he needs a clean boost for slap work etc..

Would this circuit need any changes to facilitate this on is it already good to go? Would it cope with the farty low frequencies of a low B string?

Thanks guys :)

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

madbean

Try this: make C3 and C6 470n. You can also socket C5 to try larger values there...maybe 100n or 220n.

hammerheadmusicman

Thanks for the quick reply, i'll give it a go and post a video back :)

thanks again

George

hammerheadmusicman

sorry to be a pain, but just out of curiosity what effect would those 3 caps have?

thanks

G

midwayfair

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on September 24, 2012, 06:30:35 PM
sorry to be a pain, but just out of curiosity what effect would those 3 caps have?

thanks

G

C3 sets the level of bass frequencies at the input of the gain stage after the buffer. Up to this point, no meaningful frequencies within the range of human hearing or any form of guitar have been cut. (No coupling cap at the input and a 10uF cap at the output of the buffer.)

C6 is the output cap. As a fairly standard mod, you can increase the size of the output cap to allow more bass frequencies to exit the pedal.

You want to change both of them the same amount so that you don't just cut the bass in one area and not the other.

C5 helps controls the frequency of the fatness. Increasing it shifts the boost downward. I'm really not sure that one's more useful than just leaving the pedal in full-range mode. You might consider increasing the 47uF to 100uF, that would also make it sound "bigger." But messing with this area could easily get ugly. You don't lose bass frequencies here.

Remember, a capacitor acts as a shunt -- an open circuit -- for signal above a given frequency. By increasing the size of certain capacitors, you can allow lower frequencies to pass. If you want to get really specific, culturejam recently posted this helpful tool: http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/CRlowkeisan.htm

maysink

Sorry, hit a wrong button. Nothing to see here!

--erin (Irish; not female)
[nothing to see here]
-e

hammerheadmusicman

Hi guys,

have done the mods (just c3 and c6 to 470n) and it sounds really nice, the guy who i'm building it for loves it! the only thing i'm a little unhappy about is the 'fat pot' the control is all bunched up at the later end of the travel.. i.e the pot doesn't really do much until the last say, 15% of the travel. s there a way to change this? eg. different pot, or resistor across the pot?

thanks again

George