Main Menu

Oip

Started by frankie5fingers, June 08, 2013, 01:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

Oip
Oi

RobA

On the "did I miss any" question, sure. There seems to be an endless number of op amps to try. Here's 5 more to try that I just pulled off of my breadboard stash that I keep nearby for plugging in to try: TLE2072, NJM/JRC4580DD, OPA2134, OPA2604, and NJM/JRC2082D. I like the JRC2082 quite a bit in some circuits. I tend to like the LM833 too, although not so much when it is the only op amp in the circuit. The NE5532 usually sounds softer to me -- nice distortion with a bit more fluffiness.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

frankie5fingers

The did I miss any was in reference to all the standard disclaimers.  I did try the OPA2134 and OPA2604, just didn't mention them because neither performed well in these builds, surprising in a way because the 2604 was my favorite in my JHS MG, dunno why.
I liked the LM833N, don't get me wrong, I just liked the others better.
That, Rob, is why I added all the disclaimers because it's just my ears making the call.  Like you I have dozens of different ones, I'm just reporting on this build, this amp, and these models for anyone who may get some use from the comparisons.

RobA

Ah, I see what you mean by what you meant  :D. Sorry for the confusion.

I haven't liked the 2134 or the 2604 in any distortion circuit so far, although they are both really good in things like compressors, choruses, ... (my favs in fact for must circuits).

If you didn't like the 2134, then you probably wouldn't like the TLE2072 in this either. The JRC/NJM2082 could be worth a try though. I have like it in quite a few distortions that I've bread boarded. I haven't tried this one though, so now that you've got me interested, I'll have to try and breadboard it too.

Personally, I always like hearing reports about op amps in distortion circuits. It seems to be such a highly personal taste thing that it's interesting to hear other peoples' opinions and insights.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

frankie5fingers

Now that's one I've never tried, the 2082.  I just ordered some - I'll let ya know!

ichilton

Quote from: frankie5fingers on June 08, 2013, 01:04:03 AM
I also stacked all of them, together and in combinations, but that's a story for another day.

Do tell!!

Ian

frankie5fingers

Some good, some bad.  I skipped the suffixes, you know them all, P, DC, A, C, etc.
I've stacked doubles and combinations of OPA2134, OPA2604, LM1458, TL072, TLC2272, AD712, JC4558P, and LM833N.
Not a test or even a legit comparison, I just did it and tried 'em in some pedals.  I claim no expertise. My purpose was to see if there was anything to be gained by stacking; i.e. could I get a more articulate sound by mixing a 4558 with an OPA2134, or a meatier gain tone with two 1458s together. For this, I used the B Breaker variant.
Doubling up - Both sets of the OPAs do what you'd expect; they make more of an impression of their characters, clean and hi fi sounding. Maybe putting two together adds a little volume too. Very articulate.  FWIW, I tried these in a Timmy and really liked them (more the 2604s).
Two 1458s were fizzy at mid and above gain settings. At the bottom of the gain range though, they sounded great, like a 1458 on steroids, very strong, a really raw sound but very nice. Unfortunately, together they created fizz at mid gain or above. Too much to be useful.
Two TL072s. There was no change at all, two sounded just like one.
With two TLC2272. Two of those were definitely beefier but just as muddy as a single in this circuit. I'll bet they'd be really nice in a more distortion based circuit.
Two LM833s sounded a bit louder but no cleaner nor gainier.
Two N5532Ps sounded really great, very beefy, smooth, and articulate but they really heated up.  I only had a couple so I couldn't make another set thus I'm not sure if I may have ruined one in the process or if that's a symptom of their voltage.
I stacked a 2134 with a 4558. IT didn't do anything for me. The hybrid sounded OK, but there wasn't anything to be gained.
Same with a 2272 and a 1458. IT made the 1458 sound muddy, not smoother as I had hoped.
OPA2604 and LM1458 (or OPA2134 and 1458). This sounds pretty good in a BB, in a Timmy or something like that, it sounds even better.
In broad strokes though, stacking was waaaay less dramatic than I thought it'd be. For my money, I think you're better off flipping singles till you get the perfect one.
That's all I have. A's always, my experience only, YMMV etc. etc.

ichilton

BraindeadAudio