News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ATX PS mod for Workbench

Started by skypn, January 13, 2023, 10:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

I have a scrap computer I need to off, and see I see a lot of yt vids on this. Has any here did this? is it worth it?
TIA
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

jwin615

I have a project that's shelves due tolack of  inspiration/initiative.
Depending on the age and quality, it may or may not be noisy.
It can be done on the cheap though, for sure. I'd recommend some AliExpress parts.
Get a atx breakout board, about $3. You can pickup panel mount DC meters for under $2 each.
My plan is also to add one of these with an additional filter and smoothing stage after.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr4z68a
They'll do cc and CV up to 4A.
Going to put it on the large 12v rail.
But, and this is why I stalled, the build is going to likely be bigger than most bench supplies.
And you can get decent used bench supplies for cheap if you don't need high current or voltage.
I actually have started on just putting the buck module in a small enclosure with a 3A power one module that I procured from the scrap pile at work as I don't really need the multiple outputs. If you do other work with logic gates or relays, maybe that would be beneficial to you but the workbench realestate is more valuable to me.

mauman

+1 to jwin615's comments.  ATX supplies weren't designed as bench power supplies, they're optimized for high current at fixed voltages.  You can do more with less effort.  Ideas:

• For 9V testing up to 100mA or so, just get a small pedalboard power supply with a couple of outlets.  You can build a small charge pump doubler box to get 18V, a tripler for 24V, and/or a regulator for 5V if you need those voltages.  You can also make a variable regulator for sagging to 7V, 6V etc. This is the rig I use 95% of the time.
  • I bought a good used bench supply from a forum member who was upgrading, I use that the other 5% of the time.
  • If you want to build your own from scratch, or need features like current limiting or precision voltages, there are many good designs.  Here's an in-depth tutorial that will tell you all you want to know (and more!) and you can pick and choose your features:  https://community.element14.com/technologies/test-and-measurement/b/blog/posts/the-modular-bench-power-supply-the-essential-diy-build-for-every-ee-student-and-old-timer-alike