News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Addiction and How to Deal With It

Started by peAk, March 27, 2014, 06:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk1802

Quote from: flanagan0718 on March 29, 2014, 12:24:32 AM
Ok guys I started the best storage idea! I think it's mine, I haven't seen any one else do it. But here it is

The first picture shows resistors and other small parts. They are in a trading card sleeve. The second shows you can do possible kit w/board organizing. You could also get the full page sleeves and put the build doc in the binder with the parts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a combination of card binder, plastic bin and ziplock bag method.
I store resistors and diodes in the card binder because they are thin when laying down on tape. Caps, are too big and I find that they tend to fall out when the binder gets knocked on the floor (it will happen).

When I am getting projects ready to build I go through the binder and locate all of the resistors needed for a build. I tear (or cut) the resistors off with a small section of tape that they are connected to. I then write the value on that piece of tape. I do the same for diodes, but they typically have their code printed on the diode itself.

I store caps in three different bins. I store them in the little bags from the suppliers (I have a stack of extra empty bags in case I order from a supplier with giant bags (mouser). I keep them in order, greatest in the back, smallest in the front. The bins are 1.Electro, 2.Film and 3.others(greenies, tant, mlcc, ceramic etc). I hate converting the codes on film caps, so I write the value how it is printed on the BOM on the cardboard tape the film caps come taped on so they are easy to find later.

I have bins with all the other goodies I might need. Leds, pots, ics, knobs, sockets, jacks, switches, transistors, etc.

I throw all the parts in a marked ziplock with the board and BOM. I highlight the parts I don't have on the BOM and write them on my "parts needed list". When I get in the soldering mood I can whip out a bag, start placing parts and soldering. This is nice because I am rarely in the mood to search for parts when I am in the mood to solder.

Once the board is completed I throw it in the bag with all the other parts and order a box that I think will fit the build(aesthetically as well as size.) Usually, I have a box ready because I order extras. When the box arrives and I am in the mood to drill, the board and parts are all ready to go.

I probably have 15+ builds in bags either awaiting a few parts or completely ready once I have time to drill.

That all being said. I am getting married in June, buying a house, and remodeling it, so I have no time to build pedals. Seasons in life come and go, I'm afraid. I hope the "driving to her house time" can become the "building pedals time" once we are married and move in together.

muddyfox

Quote from: pk1802 on March 29, 2014, 08:22:47 PM
I hope the "driving to her house time" can become the "building pedals time" once we are married and move in together.

It's entirely possible that "driving to her house time" instead of "building pedals time" may become "diaper changing time"...  Ask me how I know... ::)