News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Last Jedi

Started by Leevibe, October 10, 2017, 03:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mremic01

Saw movie. I'm not mad, just disappointed.

madbean

Saw it finally. Didn't like it for lots of reasons. I think I must be over Star Wars since I didn't like Rogue One either. The light-speed ram was awesome, though. That was a true "hold your breath" moment. There was another moment with Kylo and Rey where I thought "oh this is about to go in a very cool direction...I want to see THAT movie" but, no. Reset everything back to where it started and played it safe. Bleh. I'll stick to TNG and the next season of The Orville.  :D

jimilee

Nothing can really compare to the original 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Govmnt_Lacky

I thought the whole thing felt like a merchandising cash grab. The attempt at comedy was not very good at all. Certain characters (you know who) died off fairly easily while others (you know who) should have and made absolutely no sense to me.
Some of the parts of the movie seemed like they were just stuffed in there to kill time and offered no value to the story.

I would go in more detail but, I don't want to spoil for those who have not seen it.

I also agree with Brian that the light speed jump scene was probably the best scene in the entire film!

jimilee

I feel like everything will come together in the next one just like every third move in the series. Well pretty much watch the last one because we're OCD and have to complete the set.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

I watched it twice and enjoyed it both times. I'm a sap.

matmosphere

I'd like to say there was nothin as boring as a trade federation dispute, but unfortunately don't think I can

jposega

I liked it. I saw it once. I think I'll enjoy it more in context with the final film. I also liked TFA, too, even though I think Abrams is an overrated hack.

atreidesheir

A filmmaker can have too much misdirection and too many mcguffins.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

madbean

The only thing Star Wars I am looking forward to is the Obi-Wan movie. Mostly because I like Ewan McWhatshisname and I think he was the best part of the prequels. A grizzled OWK who doesn't give a crap about lightsabers or the Force would be a great movie.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on December 25, 2017, 12:19:20 AM
The only thing Star Wars I am looking forward to is the Obi-Wan movie. Mostly because I like Ewan McWhatshisname and I think he was the best part of the prequels. A grizzled OWK who doesn't give a crap about lightsabers or the Force would be a great movie.
Na, what they need is a movie full of ship chases and shootouts.

Muadzin

What we need is a movie that has Imperials as the good side, fighting the evil rebel terrorists. Invert the whole dynamic. Instead of a plucky band of rebels, a band of Imperial brothers who fight to maintain order and who try to prevent the universe from falling into the chaos that used to be the Old Republic. Show us why Imperials fight, rather then just be faceless mooks.

alanp

Biggest problem with TLJ (and TFA) is...

Where for the love of Yoda does all this crap COME from?

Legions of men, enough resources to convert a bloody PLANET to a Mega-Deathstar, etc etc etc, ad nauseum, when post Ep6, what were the Imperials known as again... oh yeah, the Remnant. As in, bugger all of them actually LEFT.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Muadzin

Quote from: alanp on December 25, 2017, 08:01:00 PM
Biggest problem with TLJ (and TFA) is...

Where for the love of Yoda does all this crap COME from?

Legions of men, enough resources to convert a bloody PLANET to a Mega-Deathstar, etc etc etc, ad nauseum, when post Ep6, what were the Imperials known as again... oh yeah, the Remnant. As in, bugger all of them actually LEFT.

Yeah, but you got to remember, that stuff all happened in the books. And for as long as there were no new movies the books were pretty much canon. But now new movies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> books. So unless those books still fit in with the new movies all that stuff, Imperial Remnant, Fell Empire, that's all pretty much out of the window. Either that or you have to remember what JJ did to Trek and imagine that the new movies are happening in an alternate universe as well.

Personally I think you're lucky if you get a decent story at all. You want it to make sense as well? Fit in with established lore? Come on! Be real! Disney wants to recoup its investment and milk you suckers until there's nothing left to milk. I pray to the God-Emperor that Disney never gets its hands on Games Workshop. 40K's lore is already pretty much FUBAR. I can't imagine what would happen if Disney were to get its hands on that as well.

mremic01

Quote from: Muadzin on December 26, 2017, 11:45:43 AM
Disney wants to recoup its investment and milk you suckers until there's nothing left to milk.

They can still do that and have a story that makes sense. The state of the galaxy post-RotJ lets the stories write themselves. The Force Awakens went out of its way to create a situation where the First Order and Resistance have the same dynamic as the Empire and the Rebel Alliance, which is jarring because it doesn't make sense for them to be in similar positions without some serious story going on between RotJ and TFA. It all feels very forced.

As much as the new movies don't make any narrative sense, I think The Last Jedi really failed with its tone and constant attempts to undermine audience expectations. TFA tried so hard to ape ANH that it falls apart as a story, but it also succeeded in capturing the tone and sense of adventure of the original trilogy (something the prequels never did). The Last Jedi keeps trying to build up a darker ESB-like tone, but consistently defuses that tone with humor throughout its entire runtime. When the OT was funny, it didn't break the tension or pace of any given scene. TLJ stops its own pacing dead in its tracks to deliver one-liners, and this makes it hard to get invested in the dramatic tension.

It would have been so much easier to just write a tight story that flowed logically from RotJ. No Star Killer Base, no stupid jokes. All they had to do was capture the feels of the OT, and Abrams did that part well with TFA. But TFA put actual effort into making no sense just so it could mirror ANH, and TLJ put even more effort into moving Star Wars into jokesy Marvel territory while also failing to explain any of the things from TFA that begged explanation. All we want is something that feels like Star Wars and doesn't insult us with dumb BS. That's not hard to do.

It says Star Wars on it, so people will go see it and buy the toys. But better movies could have been made with the same amount of effort, which is the reason these movies are so frustrating.