Started by madbean, April 13, 2013, 03:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

My god, I hate it.

My OSH Park prototyping total for 2012: $1234.35

At least I cut down a little from 2011!

gtr2

Me too!

I just finally finished my local today.  My state and fed has been done for about a month.  What a headache!

They make it hard to run a legitimate small business, that's for sure!

EDIT: not to mention the chunk of change THE MAN wants...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

alanp

Remind me again how the American Colonies began their revolution over taxes?  :D

One good thing about being a meatworker, I just put down 'M SL' in my tax code and leave it at that. No one expects a meatworker to do hard maths ;)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

atreidesheir

I had a terrible year and received a refund.  yay
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

jkokura

Quote from: atreidesheir on April 13, 2013, 08:23:51 PM
I had a terrible year and received a refund.  yay

I hope 2013 is better for you charles!

Taxes in Canada are way different. We get taxed on every purchase we make, as opposed to getting taxed heavier 'by the man.' So, if I buy a chocolate bar for $1, I actually pay $1.10. But that means that I actually take home more of my pay, and at the end of the year I usually get a refund because of my situation.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

davent

In Canada they take it from us all year and then at the end of the year they pay thousands back but of course they don't pay any interest on the loan they've commandeered from you. (But that nice lump sum payout always does look pretty good.)

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

I am not sure what the full tax laws are in Canada, but here in the Chicagoland area, we get 10% sales tax on every purchase we make and that is completely independent from the State and Federal taxes we are required to pay.  Some states don't have income tax and sales tax varies from state to state.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Ontario=> Federal Income Tax, Provincial Income Tax, Provincial Health Insurance, Municipal Property Taxes, 13% Sales Tax on most things including snack foods, luckily real food is exempt. What have i missed... such is life!

dave

edit; I forgot Canada Pension Plan and Employment Insurance, collected by the Federal Government.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

icecycle66

I would have had to send them an extra 21 cents. 

I can't handle it.

pickdropper

Quote from: davent on April 14, 2013, 03:44:12 AM
Ontario=> Federal Income Tax, Provincial Income Tax, Provincial Health Insurance, Municipal Property Taxes, 13% Sales Tax on most things including snack foods, luckily real food is exempt. What have i missed... such is life!

dave

edit; I forgot Canada Pension Plan and Employment Insurance, collected by the Federal Government.

Yeah, that sounds a bit worse than here, depending on what the rates are, of course.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

Quote from: alanp on April 13, 2013, 08:14:10 PM
Remind me again how the American Colonies began their revolution over taxes?  :D

I'm certainly the last guy to wave a flag and be all jingo, but the "tax" part of the revolution was based around "taxation without representation". In other words, the colonies paid taxes to the motherland, but didn't have any MPs in Parliament. Had the Crown relented in this area, I think we could have avoided that whole mess, and we'd all be spelling our words like we were the serving wenches to France (colour, etc).  ;D

There is a faction in America now that believes any and all taxes are evil, but that's got nothing to do with the old colonial rebellion. ;)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

It's the neglect of U and the overuse of Z ( 'Zed' :) ) that always gets me.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

nzCdog

jvg13

atreidesheir

Yes.  Southern American dialect is more archaic than other dialects.  Much closer to ca.1600 English than the modern British.  And you are correct American English has more diverse influences.  There was a movement @1800 to reject British idioms and adapt French words.  Such as Nashboro changed its name to Nashville.   
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman