News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weird Beard - Mossy Sloth & now with Woody

Started by jubal81, November 25, 2013, 08:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

After making some fixes yesterday at Jon's suggestion, I love the Mossy Sloth as much as a Big Muff - and that's saying a lot.

I used one of my relay boards with extra filtering and jumpered the ground resistor on the volume pot (Weird quirk for needing a fully-counterclockwise volume pot to be 'mute').

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

Sweet! That was fast. Did you etch the case over night, or were you saving it for something?

Quote from: jubal81 on November 25, 2013, 08:42:54 PMWeird quirk for needing a fully-counterclockwise volume pot to be 'mute'

Because the pedal is HOLY CRAP LOUD. I was running into situations where 7:30 was unity. :P

Question, though: Is the PCB upside down because it had to fit in front of the jacks, or did I somehow mess up something with the board-mounted pots? (pleeeease tell me it wasn't that!)

Thanks for the compliment about the sound, too. I fixed mine yesterday as well and I'm now considering moving it to the pedalboard for a bit.

jubal81

No worries. The pots are spaced really well, actually. I had to flip it because I drilled the audio jacks a hair too far forward. This was the first time I'd used one of those relay PCBs in a 1590B, so it was a learning experience.

I have Sundays and Mondays off from work right now, so I etched it last night and put it all together this afternoon. Hoping to have another build report coming tonight.

I called it 'Weird Beard' because after the fixes I was having too much fun doing my ZZtop impression - and it's a great Fu Manchu song.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jubal81

Bit of knob swappery. Think I like this better. Pots are spaced great for fitting the big ones.

- David Fair

pickdropper

I really really like that fun graphic.  And yes, the second set of knobs looks better.  I usually prefer chickenheads, but this one is different.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Really like the Woody. Board from TH_Custom. I think it's time to give up on trying to clear coat at home, where my shaggy beast resides.

Anyway, guts are identical to the Weird Beard.

- David Fair

midwayfair

Quotewhere my shaggy beast resides

Nah, that's just the highest quality wool veneer.

lincolnic