News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Transparent, Gritty, Fizzy, Smooth (TGP Dummies)

Started by playpunk, March 17, 2015, 08:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playpunk

I swear, the discussions on TGP about drives (actually, the discussions there in general) are almost too stupid to be believed. And there is never consensus. Like this thread on the Morning Glory and the Timmy: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1551475

No description about what each does, or how it works. One of the reasons I started building pedals was my inability to wade through the BS when it comes to effects, drives in particular.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

pryde

I am looking for an OD that is gritty but transparent, but also smooth and compressed with a nice mid-range hump  ;)

selfdestroyer

Haha, this just kills me.

I want to change my initial tone without changing my initial tone by changing my initial tone.

Cody

midwayfair

Yeah, I've had to close the browser several times after accidentally clicking on that thread.

dont-tase-me-bro

Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball
I thought this would save me money.

Frank_NH

Yes, TGP threads usually proceed something like this...

A:  I just got the new Wacky Jack Fuzz from Pro Shredder Effects in Portland.  It was their last one.  Score!
B:  You mean the fuzz that Buck Jackson of Killerweed uses on tour??  Oh man!
A:  Yeah, it's killer, especially with my custom Strat...oh, and my Les Paul too.
C:  Wacky Jack himself sez that the fuzz has special germanium MOS HFET transistors that he himself biases for each pedal!  And PIO caps!  Toan!!!!!!!!!
D:  Man, I came this close to trading my vintage Vox wah for a Wacky Jack fuzz.  I'll get one...you'll see.
A:  Toan!
B:  Toan!
C:  Toan!
A:  Hey, fellas, I just traded my Wacky Jack fuzz for a Free Fungus Echo Drive!  Killer toan to the bone!
B: Yeah I grew tired of my Wacky Jack fuzz too.  The notes just didn't bloom for me...
C: I just scored an Echo Drive from eBay!  Stoked!
D: Sweet...
A: Toan!
B: Toan!
C: Toan!

lars

What is a Crowther Hotcake???
Personally I prefer the Chick Fillet Hot Waffle. It has syrupy tone with a touch of rich peanut-buttery goodness, all based on germanium-silicon tube hybrid asymmetrical soft hard clipping terminology. Basically, a flax seed bergum spinger with loads of electro-pronunciation.
Just hook up a compressor and make sure your AC lines are pure oxygen-free copper.

icecycle66

Quote from: Frank_NH on March 18, 2015, 12:40:16 AM
Yes, TGP threads usually proceed something like this...

A:  I just got the new Wacky Jack Fuzz from Pro Shredder Effects in Portland.  It was their last one.  Score!
B:  You mean the fuzz that Buck Jackson of Killerweed uses on tour??  Oh man!
A:  Yeah, it's killer, especially with my custom Strat...oh, and my Les Paul too.
C:  Wacky Jack himself sez that the fuzz has special germanium MOS HFET transistors that he himself biases for each pedal!  And PIO caps!  Toan!!!!!!!!!
D:  Man, I came this close to trading my vintage Vox wah for a Wacky Jack fuzz.  I'll get one...you'll see.
A:  Toan!
B:  Toan!
C:  Toan!
A:  Hey, fellas, I just traded my Wacky Jack fuzz for a Free Fungus Echo Drive!  Killer toan to the bone!
B: Yeah I grew tired of my Wacky Jack fuzz too.  The notes just didn't bloom for me...
C: I just scored an Echo Drive from eBay!  Stoked!
D: Sweet...
A: Toan!
B: Toan!
C: Toan!

You should probably cite the webpage when you copy and paste directly from TGP.

juansolo

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1541715

...the number of times people have tried to explain the Klon(e) to them with knowledge, physics and common sense... This is the reason I try and stay away from that forum. Also the reason I'm not going to build another bloody klone. ever. (actually I might make one as I've got one Pickdropper board left, though technically it's built as it's populated, so I'll just be installing...).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

I worked for a winery for 3 years and all the tasting guys would use the most ridiculous words to describe the taste/smell of the wines. It used to drive me CRAZY to listen to them, and my desk was only a few feet from their offices. There are some times where TGP reminds me of that. "This OD has some nutty overtones with a woodsy feel to it." LOL

Cody

micromegas

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 18, 2015, 05:01:15 PM
I worked for a winery for 3 years and all the tasting guys would use the most ridiculous words to describe the taste/smell of the wines. It used to drive me CRAZY to listen to them, and my desk was only a few feet from their offices. There are some times where TGP reminds me of that. "This OD has some nutty overtones with a woodsy feel to it." LOL

Cody

Hahaha, I think someliers study those "refinements" as actual parameters to determine wine quality/flavour... but I might be wrong.

Your description is hilarious anyway :).
I don't visit TGP, although I think I have an account there (their system may think I'm a bot).
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Betty Wont

Cody
I went to enology college and was entirely turned off wine by the idiotic fanboys. They would describe all this ethereal crap to their friends about moonlight mojo and biodynamic bs. They couldn't even pronounce the names of the grapes they were experts on. Never once did someone say "this tastes like the controlled spoilage of grapes." Our winery actually kept a box of peter vella cab sauv on hand to serve to the tasting room surfers. It was fun watching them find the subtle differences in having the same cheap wine over and over while convinced it was a variety of high end stuff... now try our syrah!, its jammy!.

pryde

I don't visit TGP either for all the aforementioned reasons. I still can't escape it though as some customers who frequent TGP WAY to much come in with shitty information and ideas about TOAN that want from their amp or pedal.

I had a dude the other day tell me he wants his little solid-state marshall modded to achieve "that sweet, rich dumble-midrange"
WTF is that?  :o 

midwayfair

Cody

Ironic that you happened to use at least one actually USEFUL descriptor of wine. Not everything is total BS. "Woodsy" is tannins, which are present in grape skins and leeched from casks. Some other things that people can taste in common: Red fruits (including tomatoes) do have a specific flavor/smell. Tobacco. Coffee. Smoothness. Loose base. ohellwaitaminit ...

selfdestroyer

Quote from: midwayfair on March 18, 2015, 07:50:21 PM

Cody

Ironic that you happened to use at least one actually USEFUL descriptor of wine. Not everything is total BS. "Woodsy" is tannins, which are present in grape skins and leeched from casks. Some other things that people can taste in common: Red fruits (including tomatoes) do have a specific flavor/smell. Tobacco. Coffee. Smoothness. Loose base. ohellwaitaminit ...

Don't get me wrong Jon, there are definitely "proper" descriptive words I just thought it was funny since they were grasping at straws just to come up with other words just to impress people.. like on TGP. I really do think that some of these descriptive words need to exist since we are a very sensory beings. To try to describe something to another human we need to sue words that apply to visual/audio/smell-able? descriptive words. Like with Wines, foods, cigars and other things that are very subjective and hard to explain to another individual. but... it can really get out of hand like with the work "transparent" and " No coloring" since its just false.

/ranting

Cody