News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A Hotcake and a wah (Build and repair/mod)

Started by jtn191, April 14, 2012, 08:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

First the hotcake: I built it using one of my fabbed boards--sounds really good, thick yet articulate and "transparent". With my Blues Jr., it tightens up the lows and low mids, like taking a blanket off the amp--sounds kind of like the Klon or OCD. I used a 50K C Gain pot which works fine, seems like the first part of the turn is clean boost-ish. I had a cool decal all planned out but liked the simple metal look. I'm getting more boards made. Keen eyes will notice the LED isn't finished being wired.

Second is this Cry Baby GCB-95. I bought it from a guy who did the Stinkfoot mods to it but then the inductor broke when he dropped it. I took out the buffer and the old switch, replacing it with a 3pdt so that it'd be true bypass and I'd have the option to put in an LED later. Jakefuzz saved the day by sending me a spare inductor from his wah--Thanks Paul! It's the only one I've ever played but feels good. I'd like to get a sweet faceplate etched for it...might mod it more--change inductors, use a larger value pot, etc

JakeFuzz

Sweet! I can't wait to box up my flapjack, sounds so cool. There are so many cool mods for the wah too. That's a bummer about the old inductor, hopefully it wasn't a really expensive one. I've noticed that taper thing with the flapjack too. I used linear taper pots and it is even more extreme. I really want to try out different opamps in this thing but I don't have a huge supply of single opamps like i do doubles.

chromesphere

Nice builds man! I heard my mates Hotcake (the real deal) a few years back and immediately started looking for a layout :) Its got some HUGE range on it.  From boost, light OD, heavier, almost into fuzz terriorty.  Simple build too...Yeah, its a cool effect! 
Nice fab too man, purple looks hot!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

jtn191

Quote from: JakeFuzz on April 14, 2012, 09:20:05 PM
I really want to try out different opamps in this thing but I don't have a huge supply of single opamps like i do doubles.

Me too! I wonder if Mammoth's NSC LM741CN is close to the stock LM741.

I swapped out the two opamps in my sunking as per the suggestions on Briggs' blog.
Didn't really notice a difference but...ah I bask in the mojo  8)