News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Muff Gun (Musket Fuzz)

Started by Hexjibber, October 23, 2014, 09:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hexjibber

Hello!

Another day another build! Couple of firsts for me with this one, this is the first time I've used Eagle and had a PCB fabbed (OSH Park), I've since revised this board by removing the two vias I had, increasing the pad sizes and fattening up the traces. This one still works absolutely perfectly though!

Also after seeing Cody's (selfdestroyer) fantastic results with the paint and reverse etch I had to give it a try and very pleased I did! Thanks for the guide Cody, helped me get it right first time!

So it's a BE Musket fuzz and I have to say out of all the Muffs I've built this is probably my favourite thus far, I just like the tweakable nature of it I suppose and it sounds great to my doom hungry ears! ;)

Anyway enough babble, some pics;

Pants down;

Cheers! :)

luks999

Wow, lots of knobs for a fuzz :)
what does the focus and the pre know adjusts?

GORGEOUS build, i love the enclosure. maybe one of the nicest ive seen ;)
how did you paint it? any tips?
im quite a noob, when it comes to pedal printing

micromegas

:o Oustanding etch!!! I just prepared all my tools &boxes to try your technique this weekend... if the results come something near this I'm sold
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Hexjibber

Quote from: luks999 on October 23, 2014, 10:11:18 AM
Wow, lots of knobs for a fuzz :)
what does the focus and the pre know adjusts?

GORGEOUS build, i love the enclosure. maybe one of the nicest ive seen ;)
how did you paint it? any tips?
im quite a noob, when it comes to pedal printing

Thanks man! The Focus knob is a variable input cap that controls the amount of low end coming into the circuit so you can go nuts on the bass or thin it out to help it cut in the mix. The Pre knob is an LPB-1 acting as a variable extra gain stage really, if you crank it you get sort of flubby saturation but there is a sweet spot where it gives the fuzz a good punch!

I etch all my enclosures using NaOH/Caustic Soda, there's a tutorial in my sig :) As for painting I followed Cody's (selfdestroyer) guide, here's a link;

http://music.codydeschenes.com/?page_id=2499

Quote from: micromegas on October 23, 2014, 10:34:37 AM
:o Oustanding etch!!! I just prepared all my tools &boxes to try your technique this weekend... if the results come something near this I'm sold

Cheers man! Let me know how you get on! :)

selfdestroyer

Came out amazing. I love your artwork style of all your pedals. You got a great eye for it for sure. From the color to the design I simply love it. Awesome job man.

Cody

luks999

Thanks for the info and for the instruction link :)
i really have to try out this awesome painting/etching :)

what concerns a muff like pedal, I recently considered the Iron Bell (its a special muff variant with a Voice knob)
the musket is really awesome though :) wonder how it sounds

m-Kresol

Once more, this is an outstanding etch. Maybe I'm missing the point here, but how Cody's process different from yours? Except for the choice of etchant and maybe colour...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Hexjibber

Quote from: m-Kresol on October 23, 2014, 12:16:48 PM
Once more, this is an outstanding etch. Maybe I'm missing the point here, but how Cody's process different from yours? Except for the choice of etchant and maybe colour...

Thanks dude! You're right the processes are essentially the same bar choice of etchant, I suppose I hadn't really contemplated doing a reverse etch and painting the whole box before but saw Cody's and thought they look awesome. From there I was just keen to know how he went about it so I could take a bit of the guess work out! ;)

Hexjibber

Quote from: selfdestroyer on October 23, 2014, 11:17:01 AM
Came out amazing. I love your artwork style of all your pedals. You got a great eye for it for sure. From the color to the design I simply love it. Awesome job man.

Cody

Cheers Cody! Expect more of this sort of thing, I think it takes it up a notch from just normal etching!

wgc

Killer box, great layout too.  Awesome work!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Bret608

What you and Cody have going with this etch business is really one of the best looks going! Man, that is your first layout? I really have to give Diptrace or Eagle a try.

Hexjibber

Quote from: Bret608 on October 23, 2014, 01:43:41 PM
What you and Cody have going with this etch business is really one of the best looks going! Man, that is your first layout? I really have to give Diptrace or Eagle a try.

Thanks man! :) Yep it was my first go, not quite sure why I attempted something with six knobs as my first layout but in for a penny! ;) Once you get used to it's quirks, Eagle is really pretty simple to use, the JMK tutorials on the forum helped me immensely so I'd recommend giving those a watch to get you going.

Dulouz

This is a fantastic build! Such a clean etch. Way to go!

Hexjibber

Quote from: Dulouz on October 23, 2014, 04:33:38 PM
This is a fantastic build! Such a clean etch. Way to go!

Thanks dude! Your Forest Echo build looks great!

Dulouz