News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Guitar sound, at the beginning of "Computer Blue", Prince "Purple Rain" album

Started by tone seeker, August 22, 2016, 03:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tone seeker

There is this sound on guitar, at the beginning, and end of "Computer Blue"'.

I've been told it is feedback, but it reminds me of Ibanez AF2, when you turn the Enhance control. It's like a high pitch squeal, that changes
it's pattern, or tempo. I know he used mainly Boss pedals, along with a wah. I just can't figure out what he's doing there!

Any idea's? Link below!

https://youtu.be/TlzVd6GvFiM

Muadzin

tone seeker

Quote from: Muadzin on August 22, 2016, 08:55:46 PM
Bottleneck perhaps? Very high, somewhere above the pickups?

Yeah, I could hear some slide in there, but how does it get that ripple squeal sound, right towards the end of that riff?

selfdestroyer

He was know for doing a lot of effects post production and old tape effects.. might be something sampled and manipulated.

Try to find a live track and see if they get the same effect or if its a backing track. Just a thought.

Cody

Muadzin

When in doubt, always go check out a live rendition. That's where the real music is, not studio trickery.

tone seeker

That very well could be studio stuff. I  know he recorded stuff backwards, in many places, from that album.

I was hoping there was some type of effect pedal that could give that
Same random skippy squeal!

jimilee

prince.org suggests it's feedback coupled with a boss flanger, the silver screw ones from Japan can get a very interesting "pew pew" sound. I figure it's oscillation of some sort.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

tone seeker

Quote from: jimilee on August 22, 2016, 11:49:46 PM
prince.org suggests it's feedback coupled with a boss flanger, the silver screw ones from Japan can get a very interesting "pew pew" sound. I figure it's oscillation of some sort.

Thanks for info! I'll have to check out that flanger.
The AF2 Airplane flanger, does some cool, out of sync, kinda sounds like that. I just didn't want to buy the thing!
I would think there would be some way to modify one. That or see what's under the hood of a boss flanger

drolo

Quote from: jimilee on August 22, 2016, 11:49:46 PM
It's also what I think. You can these kind of sounds running a flanger with lots of feedback into a distortion (or overdriven amp).

tone seeker