News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Raising Steam

Started by alanp, December 25, 2014, 06:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

If you've read Pratchett's book and had a special shudder run up your spine, raise your hand :D

Granddad on Mum's side built a small scale steam engine. I have special memories of sitting in his workshop talking to him, with steel shavings sitting on the floor all around except for where people walked. (Unfortunately not what we talked about -- I was very young when he passed away :( RIP Grandad Davie)

I did get to spend  some time at a traction engine thing, with ten ton engines roaring all over the place.

For some weird reason, steam engines are much more visceral to me :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Leevibe

You should check out the Jay Leno's Garage videos. He has some amazing steam stuff. So much power from such relatively small motors.

juansolo

Steam engines have a soul, that's why. You have to wake them up, look after them, learn their idiosyncrasies, feed them and they breath fire, steam and smoke!

Steam trains, steam ships. All awesome.

Diesel & electric are just disposable white goods in comparison.

Reminds me that I really need to go to the York Railway Museum again. Haven't been since I was a kid.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

The pictures in that link are impressive! I'd like to visit that place :) (And the Imperial War Museum in Duxford. And that Isle Of Wight tank place.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Leevibe

Here's a fun watch. Lots more to see too.

PhiloB

I'm from USA.  My dad's from Birmingham.  We visited his family there when I was 17.  We went to the York Railway Museum.  When he told me where we were going I thought it sounded lame.  It was one of the highlights of the trip.  Steam rock! ;)
Should build a pedal board that runs on steam.  Wouldn't have to mess with the fog machines then!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanp

That was fun, especially the Miura one. Miura's are so beautiful!

What line of work is Jay Leno in to be able to afford all those man-toys? He mentions starting in car sales in the Mercedes 600 clip?
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on December 26, 2014, 05:53:06 PM
That was fun, especially the Miura one. Miura's are so beautiful!

What line of work is Jay Leno in to be able to afford all those man-toys? He mentions starting in car sales in the Mercedes 600 clip?

He was the host of the Tonight Show for about 20 years. It's a late night talk show. I've never been into the show but I think Jay is really cool. He's got such an incredible car collection and he works hard to preserve their history and share it with the world. He really understands and appreciates the mechanical aspect of the vehicles too, which really impresses me.

I can't remember the episode, but there is a fun one where he burns his eyebrows off warming up a steam powered car. Maybe a Stanley? It seems a quirky design to build a car with a wooden frame that requires one to crawl underneath with a blow torch to warm it up to the point that the fuel can ignite. I want one!

cooder

I've got a soft spot for steam engines since I can remember.... and they have a similar fascinating soulfulness to me as tube amps have...
What a technology... breathing fire and smoke... electrons flying through vacuum off heated plates... all similar alchemy of technology...!
Here's the "Weka Pass Railway" thundering around Frog Rock in North Canterbury / NZ.

BigNoise Amplification

alanp

It came to Wanganui, decades ago... got to ride on it :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

cooder

April 2014, just north of Oamaru on State Highway 1...

BigNoise Amplification