News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weener Transistor

Started by DutchMF, January 26, 2013, 02:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Hey guys, Im gonna build a Weener pretty soon, and thought I'd buy the recommended 2N3565 for Q1. But in my shopping haste I ordered PN3565's from Tayda..... Not a big problem, as I'll socket it anyway and have a lot of transistors I can sub in the Q1 position, but what the h@ll are PN3565's and where can I use them for? When I look at the datasheets, they appear to be a little beefier version of the 2N3565, am I right? Thanks!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

midwayfair

They work the same. They tend to have higher gain, but almost EVERY modern transistor has more gain than the same part number from several decades ago -- see BC109s for example.

Guitar pedals is probably the only place where low-gain is ever really desirable. I mean, have you tried finding a modern, in production silicon transistor with guaranteed hfe < 100? I'm not sure there are any.

fuzzymuff

Quote from: midwayfair on January 26, 2013, 02:19:25 PM
They work the same. They tend to have higher gain, but almost EVERY modern transistor has more gain than the same part number from several decades ago -- see BC109s for example.

Guitar pedals is probably the only place where low-gain is ever really desirable. I mean, have you tried finding a modern, in production silicon transistor with guaranteed hfe < 100? I'm not sure there are any.

I've purchased a bunch of BC108B and many were between 70 to 140 hfe.  I sorted them out for si Fuzz Face uses, these are the metal cans.

DutchMF

Thanks Jon!

Quote from: midwayfair on January 26, 2013, 02:19:25 PM
They tend to have higher gain...

I want my Weener to be quite dirty (pun intended...) so high gain is no problem. I'll be sure to try them out when selecting a tranny for Q1. I also have a bunch of 2N2924's (got them from Timbo, thanks again!) which are supposed to sound very good in that position!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"