News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can One Road Rage Power 5+ NPN Pedals in a pedalboard?

Started by fuzzymuff, January 26, 2013, 07:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzymuff

I have about 5 NPN pedals, fuzz face, tonebender, rangemaster...etc and need to power them with -9v.  Can I build a standalone road rage and power all my npn pedals with a daisy chain power cable like the spot one?  Is it possible, instead of installing a road rage in each npn pedal?

DutchMF

I think you mean PNP instead of NPN? And I don't think it will work anyway because the IC won't put out enough current (mA) to supply 5 pedals. Even when using an LT1054 you might get away with powering 2 or maybe 3 pedals, but 5 will be a bit much.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

fuzzymuff

Quote from: DutchMF on January 26, 2013, 07:39:07 AM
I think you mean PNP instead of NPN? And I don't think it will work anyway because the IC won't put out enough current (mA) to supply 5 pedals. Even when using an LT1054 you might get away with powering 2 or maybe 3 pedals, but 5 will be a bit much.

Paul

Yes...my bad.  I mean PNP pedals.  I can accept powering two or three PNP pedals, but using the LT1054 instead of the max1044?  The max1044 can only power one pnp pedal at a time?

DutchMF

Look up the datasheets of both IC's. The 1044 puts out about 20mA, while the 1054 is stated to put out 100mA. Now you would say that 5x20=100, so 5 pedals would work, but A) you don't want to operate the IC so close to its maximum rating and B) I don't think it actually gets to the full 100mA under load
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

fuzzymuff