News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz Pedals and the "MUST HAVE Germanium" Transistor hype

Started by jalmonsalmon, November 09, 2012, 04:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalmonsalmon

Do I really need the NKT 275 white dot 's in my mangler?  NO!
How about OC 84s for the tonebender that other certain boutique builders sell for an arm and a leg? NO!
I tried out some MadBean fuzzes I built along side my buddies $$$$$ boutique pedals with a Strat and Les Paul Standard into a Fender Deluxe Reverb and also into a 50 watt Marshall Jubilee and really, blind fold test, you cannot tell them apart at all.  Tonebenders are insane and fuzz face (mangler) is just so musical.
Maybe I got lucky with my sm bear transistors, but all I know is I would not trade my madbean pedals for anything because they are so good!  Oh and the Boneyard on a Fender Deluxe Reverb next to the Jubilee... well lets just say the Fender was hanging with it just fine!  LOL  Want Boneyard 2 now!
So anyone looking to make some fuzz pedals that are new to the DIY, go for some sm bear Ge Transistors and some madbean boards and you won't be disappointed!

So many colors and flavors to be had....

That is all!!!
(sorry no clips because we were to busy rockin!)

Cheers

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

juansolo

Josh's Buzzsaw has been a bit of a holy grail for me when it comes to vintage fuzz. That thing just covers so much sonic ground it's untrue, and not a Ge transistor in sight.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

BraindeadAudio

Partially true, partially untrue.

Something people miss quite a bit in this argument is not how the pedal responds with newer more modern gear, but how it responds with older vintage gear.

My 2000s gibson SG sounds leaps and bounds different than my 1978 SG custom with my pedals. Even with the same duncan JB in the bridge.

Also, my 1975 ampeg V4 sounds way different than a 90s marshal tsl depending on the pedal.

Part of the fun of the holy grail components in this hobby/business is finding a massive rare backstock at a great price and finally being able to hear the difference in your own pedals.

Im a fan of obsoloete SE4010 black dot gold pin transistors in my Muffs, TFK GE/NKT transistors in my fuzz/power starved bit manglers, Germanium fairchild diodes in my clipping sections and metal can LM308 op amps in my RATs.

I a/b/c/d/e different components on the breadboard to hear the difference and go with the pairing I like.

No pairing is wrong as long as it works, and No pairing is right as long as it works.

Have fun with it is the main point im trying to get across. Its like biulding a model car.

jalmonsalmon

Good point, I found that my fuzz pedals actually sound better with vintage guitars with stock vintage type of wiring vs some of my hot rodded guitars... ie  good ol Les Paul w 50s wiring and a plain jane stock Strat and my 1968 SG std, and 1968 SG special... all of those guitars are totally stock and sound great.
I have a hot rodded McInturrf with some crazy wiring and that guitar is just all balls to the wall with no dynamic response on the volume pots so, basically you just getting a hot signal all the time unless the volume   pot is on like about 1 to 0.5 and then no output below 0.5, Not sure what Terry McInturrf was thinking on his guitar wiring but, I am tempted to rip out the guts and go for a normal Gibson type of wiring on there.

I have not heard new RATs so cannot really comment on them, but I happen to have one of the 1st Rats
and was always wondering what makes these so nice. LOL
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

BraindeadAudio

Those old big boxes rule. Mojo. Ive had a few people ask me to mod those with added clipping and I have had to refuse.

jalmonsalmon

Yeah I have had offers for that rat and I refuse to sell it because it was given to me by my older Brother.
I gave away a  late 70's MXR distortion + after I got that RAT and now am going... DUH!  lol
however imo the RAT is better but I sort of miss that old MXR
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .