News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

storing parts

Started by matmosphere, July 08, 2016, 09:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I was just thinking of moving all of my parts out to the garage where my workspace is. Is there any reason to worry about storing parts out there? It's not attached to the house and isn't climate controlled, and the door is kinda messed up a bit. It's almost like there is always an open window to the garage because I usually just keep the door open. I'll put all the parts into a cabinet out there, and they'll all be in storage boxes anyway so the only thing I think might be bad is the temperature. Just don't have a lot of space in the house for stuff. What do you guys think, would it be fine, or should I try to find some room inside?

somnif

As long as they stay dry, most components will be fine. If you live in death valley or something, maybe some transistors or ICs could get a bit annoyed, but by and large, its not much of an issue. If you're really worried, keep the semiconductors inside.

Wet would mean all bets are off, though.

stecykmi

so long as it's dry it would probably be okay. if you are in a humid climate perhaps some metals parts might not like it (pots maybe??). electro caps are really the only parts that temperature can affect the lifespan of and i doubt it's 85C where you live.

Scruffie

I'd chuck some silica gel packs in with it to be safe.
Works at Lectric-FX

EBRAddict

My garage is where my work area is, it's passively climate controlled by whatever leaks from the HVAC system. No problems after 2 years. I keep some reusable dessicant packs in the plastic totes with the semiconductors.

stringsthings

Quote from: Scruffie on July 08, 2016, 10:19:16 PM
I'd chuck some silica gel packs in with it to be safe.

Sounds like a good idea.
All You Need Is Love