News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

HotCake Bluesberry mod

Started by PhiloB, June 22, 2014, 01:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

I built Big Dipper Effects Shortcake PCB (HotCake Clone).  It suggests that D2 and D3 are optional and can be put on a switch.  I assumed that I could run them in series from one of the diode holes.  I oriented the diodes according to the screen print on the switch which has heat shrink in the image.
Please let me know if I am off base (wouldn't be the first time;). If it is correct, it sure seems REALLY subtle.
Also including the schematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtn191

Hi, if you look a little closer at the schematic, the diodes can't be put in series--the anode of D3 goes from the negative rail of the opamp and the cathode touches pin 2 of the opamp. The anode of D2 goes from this same connection (cathode of D3 & pin 2) to pin 3 of the opamp. I think the way you have it now is two diodes in parallel where D2 should be. Just match it to the schematic and make it so one leg of each diode breaks a connection when the switch is turned "off".

I would either socket both (as you have) and try the diodes in their position to see if I like it or
try using a DPST switch, which only has 4 lugs that connect vertically, like:

_  _                                1  3

_  _      let's call those     2  4

On D2, I would solder the leg that connects with R2 and pin 3 of the opamp onto the pcb. I would run the other leg to lug 1 on the switch. I would then run a wire from lug 2 of the switch to the left open pad for D2. For D3, I would solder in the side that touches R7 and pin 2 of the opamp onto the pcb and run the other leg to lug 3. Run a wire from lug 4 to the open D3 pad.

Hope this helps

PhiloB

That makes a lot of sense.  All I have is DPDT switches.  I would just treat it the same as you described leaving lugs 5 & 6 empty? 
Really appreciate it Jtn191!

PhiloB

Thanks Jeff, that got it.  The difference is subtle to my ear.  Seems more compressed with diodes engaged. 

jtn191

Quote from: PhiloB on June 23, 2014, 03:08:02 AM
That makes a lot of sense.  All I have is DPDT switches.  I would just treat it the same as you described leaving lugs 5 & 6 empty? 

Exactly, a DPST would be the bare minimum but a dual pole switch should work similarly

Quote from: PhiloB on June 23, 2014, 03:59:20 PM
Thanks Jeff, that got it.  The difference is subtle to my ear.  Seems more compressed with diodes engaged. 

Glad it helped, another member informed the forum that those diodes are the difference in Bluesberry mode. I haven't seen it anywhere else (like fsb) but I trust that it was true. I've never tried the mod, but my unfinished pcb has them socketed

FloorIt

Quote from: PhiloB on June 22, 2014, 01:07:50 AM

I see that you twisted together the input and output wires going to/from the board (green & white wires).  I though I read that it was best to keep input and output leads away from each other in order to limit noise.  Am I correct in this?

PhiloB

That would make sense not to twist them but you are correct, I did.  I don't have any noise issues in this particular pedal though.  I'll avoid it in the future as a precaution.

spin

I twist mine in a lot of builds for cleaner runs. I've always worried about crosstalk, but I haven't noticed anything to my ear. Maybe I should A/B two identical circuits and find out.

FloorIt

Quote from: PhiloB on November 02, 2014, 05:27:37 PM
That would make sense not to twist them but you are correct, I did.  I don't have any noise issues in this particular pedal though.  I'll avoid it in the future as a precaution.

That's great you didn't have any issues.  I'm a noob at this stuff, trying to learn what I can.  I wanted to make sure I understood this correctly.  Just finishing up on my Short Stack (HotCake) build so was taking a peak at yours.

Cheers.