News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Basic power filtering

Started by muddyfox, February 26, 2014, 09:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

Hi all!

As I'm mostly not putting a battery jack into my monstrosities, I was wondering what's the bare minimum of DC power filtering that gets the job done? Right now I'm thinking a 100R in series and a 100uF to ground, but as with anything I'm more than willing to be taken to school?

Thanks!

Clayford

I think you've got it. I'd still add the polarity diode. Just in case. Should also help with static discharge on IC's
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

muddyfox

1N4001 in parallel, positive to ground?

culturejam

As a bare minimum for power filtering, just a 47u cap fits the bill.

Better is a LPF made from a 100R or 47R resistor and 100u or 47u cap.

Even better is the above plus an extra 100n ceramic cap in parallel with the larger cap.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

muddyfox

Thanks CJ! I think that's the way I'm gonna go and forget about polarity protection. Most of what I make never leaves my house anyways. :-)

sent from my mobile device

culturejam

Well, I would say that power filtering and power supply protection are two different things.

The typical 1N4001 in parallel with the power rails does the job, but it's far from perfect. I prefer a schottky diode in series with the positive rail. This provides the same reverse-polarity protection as the other method, but it won't cause either the DC wall wart or the diode to die.

RobA

Quote from: culturejam on February 26, 2014, 05:52:48 PM
Well, I would say that power filtering and power supply protection are two different things.

The typical 1N4001 in parallel with the power rails does the job, but it's far from perfect. I prefer a schottky diode in series with the positive rail. This provides the same reverse-polarity protection as the other method, but it won't cause either the DC wall wart or the diode to die.

I agree completely. I use a 1N5817 in series with the power input in everything now.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

This makes up for the 1590A hipsters crack in the other thread.

culturejam

Quote from: midwayfair on February 26, 2014, 06:57:09 PM

Thanks. I was doing the series diode thing waaaaaaay before everybody else jumped on the bandwagon.  8) ;D

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on February 26, 2014, 06:57:09 PM

Wait, Forrest was bagging on 1590a builds???

/ offended

// not really
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

muddyfox

Thanks all! Much obliged!

So if I go with a Schottky, is 100R necessary?

Thomas_H

Quote from: muddyfox on February 27, 2014, 09:19:16 AM
So if I go with a Schottky, is 100R necessary?

The diode is for polarity protection, the resistor and cap are for filtering.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

muddyfox

OK, I was just wondering, since diode is bound to have some sort of resistance to it?

muddyfox

culturejam

There is some resistance in the diode, but it's almost always vanishingly small (a few ohms). But anyway, having the resistor there is cheap and effctive, and it doesn't take up much space. You could even do it with a SMD resistor to save more space. :)