News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

If you built the DuoVibe and thought it was dark....

Started by culturejam, October 12, 2016, 04:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

...you are right!

I was laying in bed the other night and suddenly the fix came to me. I tested it just now, and it totally works.

The mod can be made without cutting traces or desoldering any parts. All you need to do is add a cap in parallel with R3 (emitter resistor on Q1). This adds an emitter-bypass cap for Q1 and boosts the gain on higher frequencies. 100n is too much, I can tell you. I would suggest trying 10n and see how it sounds A/B with bypass. Testing with a dirt box in front will really make it obvious.

If anybody does the mod, I'd love to hear your results.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

I'll try to do it sometime in the next week or so.  I still have this one kicking around:

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

That reminds me that I need to get my DuoVibe built... and the FF/TB board. :(

Maybe I can put them in a BB triple effect!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Morgan

Duovibe's been on my board for a year. Not sure I can live without the darkness!
Moderator at BYOC, still sometimes futz around with Leila Vintage Electronics.

Old Blog...

culturejam

Quote from: Morgan on October 15, 2016, 06:39:18 PM
Duovibe's been on my board for a year. Not sure I can live without the darkness!

A great mod would be to have a toggle to go between stock and "bright" (or really, normal).

I did some more testing last night, and 10n is just about dead-on to bypass. But larger caps do sound really good as well, though it's a fair bit brighter than bypass. Could be a neat way to goose the upper-mids and stand out in a band mix maybe.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects