News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Which Poscas?

Started by neandrewthal, May 24, 2016, 03:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neandrewthal

It looks like they have paint pens and lacquer pens.

I'm assuming the paint ones are the normal wash off if you make a mistake kind that people have been talking about around here.

Anyone use the lacquer ones? I wonder if they are more durable.

Lastly, it seems a small tip is generally recommended but do you prefer fine or ultra-fine?

Mojo Fandangle

I've used Poska and another type of paint pen that I can't remember the brand of right now.
I think you're better off using acrylic paint and a fine brush for this type of work

I found with Poska's that the paint will scratch EXTREMELY easily, as in if it's even sneezed on, or you look at it too hard. I found that he fine point ones are almost completely useless.

They do look good though, and have some nice colours. But I'd definately recommend spraying at least 5 clear coats over it.

The other paint pens were better but you need to make sure that the colour you choose is one that's labelled as opaque, rather than translucent. They are more durable but even still they're not great because you have to apply it thick, which doesn't look too good.
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

chromesphere

Ive used a number of poscas, as far as pen point size goes large has the advantage of filling areas quickly but you cant use those for finer detail.  So I guess one of each might be the way to go in the long run.

The finished paintjob will be delicate, I have only used epoxy on posca paint so far had haven't had much trouble with durability....except for the black pen which for some reason flakes off during the epoxy application process very easily.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

neandrewthal

Cheers guys.

I'm not too fussed with durability, except of course if it flakes off before or during the epoxy/clear coat application.

I don't even know what the rustoleum clear coat I've been using is (probably lacquer) but it tends to sort of roughen and blur the edges of words I wrote with paint pens and sharpies on some pieces of scrap aluminum (I've never finished a real build with anything fancier than spraypaint yet)

What type clear coat or epoxy would you guys recommend to protect paint pen writing?

Mojo Fandangle

I've always used the Rustoleum clear coat too but I haven't done much fine detail paint pen stuff
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

alanp

India Ink can be similarly fragile, when applying clear nailpolish. The trick is to put the nailpolish on at lightning speed, and NOT touch it after 0.1 seconds post application.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

neandrewthal

Quote from: alanp on May 28, 2016, 07:32:54 AM
India Ink can be similarly fragile, when applying clear nailpolish. The trick is to put the nailpolish on at lightning speed, and NOT touch it after 0.1 seconds post application.

Interesting. Do you nail polish the whole pedal (if so, do any brush marks show after?) or just cover the words, let it dry and the spray on a clear coat after?

alanp

I only cover the words. Clear coat is *NOT* necessary, as the clear nail polish forms a rock hard clear coat already.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website