News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Drill hole size for 5mm LED fresnel lenses?

Started by Bret608, February 13, 2012, 04:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what the proper drill hole size is for the 5mm LED lenses from Mouser? I'm going to have to order drilled enclosures from PPP until I have a drill press, and I'm guessing they'll need pretty specific measurements to accomodate special requests like this.

Thanks!

Bret

Haberdasher

Are you talking about those vcc lenses?  I have some here, but my calipers are AWOL.  I do have a 1/4" hole drilled in an unused enclosure though, and I just dry-fitted one in there.  I think it might go if I pushed it, but it's awfully tight. I think 9/32 would be better?

Or get a $10 set of step bits from harbor freight and drill that one hole yourself with a handheld drill...
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Strategy

my trick for this is to drill a 1/4" hole and then slightly file/grind the edges of the hole with my dremel tool - one of the narrow grinding cones. I haven't found exactly the right size bit for this yet..

Strategy

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 13, 2012, 05:19:48 PM
Are you talking about those vcc lenses?  I have some here, but my calipers are AWOL.  I do have a 1/4" hole drilled in an unused enclosure though, and I just dry-fitted one in there.  I think it might go if I pushed it, but it's awfully tight. I think 9/32 would be better?

Or get a $10 set of step bits from harbor freight and drill that one hole yourself with a handheld drill...

Haberdasher

Ah- good to know that, strategy.  So would you say 9/32 is too big?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Bret608

Thanks guys! I am definitely curious about the 9/32"--I do have a decent hand drill and a Harbor Freight close by, so I could go that route.