News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A/DA Flanger (non Madbean build)

Started by LaceSensor, July 24, 2012, 10:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Had this PCB for months now, and finally decided to tackle it. Done two Current Lovers, so this is next. Im worried having heard it that I wont even be bothered to try the MXR Collosalus build...it sounds amazing.
Its using the MN3007 chip too, thanks to some jiggerrypokery by clever folks.

The on off (right footswitch) is a red diffuse under a clear bezel, blinks in time with the LFO
The left footswitch is for the polarity of the flanger harmonics. Bi-color common cathode LED, yellow = odd, green = even.

Wasnt sure how to build this into the case, ended up dremeling near the top of the PCB to allow a bit more clearance for the footswitches at the front, which doesnt look too horrific..
Then I figured it just work out fine to have the jacks on the side. Made putting it together a breeze.

The orange cable running from the bypass is a dual core Van Damme screened cable. Just for show really, dont think this needs shielded cable at all.

What a great project. I recommend anyone who likes modulation pedals to give this a go if and when the PCBs get restocked. Its just such a great effect. Kinda like a more usable model than my Lovetone ? which gets crazy too soon really.

Woop! Now I need ideas for graphics...

alanp

Wow. You're goooood at this highly complex synthy pedal stuff.

What's the third 1/4" jack for? I'm guessing the other two are in and out? Also, what have you got patched up on the perf area?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

LaceSensor

Hi

Third jack is a control CV in for the Manual Pot to take control of the sweep with a foot pedal.

The perf area has a Charge pump circuit for running off 9vDC
Also, I have added a trim pot for the output volume control, there is a jumper 0ohm resistor to the ground plain from that, and the other resistor is a 1k, which is patched on the underside of the board to Range lug 3, which is the LFO control, so that you can have an LED blink with the rate.

This was such an enjoyable build and it really does sound fantastic.
You do need at least a DMM with a frequency counter to bias / set up the sweep however.
A scope would be ideal.

Cheers.

televisiondown

This is great! I have an old A/DA flanger and I've been checking everyday to see if these boards are re-stocked. I'll be so happy to build a clone of this amazing pedal! Gonna go check the site again now. Good work!
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

brokenwings

Here's mine

just a vero layout the sound is fantastic
i post the video later when im not busy.

alanp

:o

My hat goes off to you for that vero board! Looks like it belongs to a modular synth!  :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Scruffie

I saw your posts on DIY stompboxes about the FET lace, try a 2N3819, that worked well for me.

You will have to bend the leads though.

Nice build though, after over a year of being built I should probably get mine boxed, it is a great flanger.
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

Quote from: Scruffie on July 26, 2012, 02:30:04 PM
I saw your posts on DIY stompboxes about the FET lace, try a 2N3819, that worked well for me.

Nice build though, after over a year of being built I should probably get mine boxed, it is a great flanger.

The 2n5457 seems fine. Thresholding works a treat, with the 100kb pot swap.

BTW the woody showed up yesterday, thanks. Any chance of a BOM please?

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on July 26, 2012, 04:49:59 PM

Fair enough! I wonder if I should try the 100k swap in conjunction with the 2N3819...

A BOM too? You just want the moon on a stick don't you  :P
I'll e-mail you the schematic, never actually wrote a BOM up for it. Glad it got there safe.
Works at Lectric-FX

MattOcaster

Nice builds!!

How does it compare to the Current Lover?

Don't tell me I need to build another flanger...  ;D
Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

DutchMF

Hey Lace, the only thing you owe me for letting you have this board is letting me know how it works out, so be sure to do that!  ;)
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

LaceSensor

Quote from: DutchMF on July 26, 2012, 09:46:26 PM

Hey Lace, the only thing you owe me for letting you have this board is letting me know how it works out, so be sure to do that!  ;)

First dibs if I choose to sell it on :)

LaceSensor

Quote from: mtmattan on July 26, 2012, 08:42:23 PM
Nice builds!!

How does it compare to the Current Lover?

Don't tell me I need to build another flanger...  ;D

It's better than the current lover due to the hamonics and threshold control. Also does q really slow sweep.

but the current lover particularly at 15v is a superb flanger.

If you just want a top notch analog flanger the current lover is amazing in a small footprint. If you want a classic fully featured flanger capable of some over the top and varied effects do the ada

nzCdog

LaceSensor

Quote from: Scruffie on July 26, 2012, 04:58:28 PM

Fair enough! I wonder if I should try the 100k swap in conjunction with the 2N3819...

A BOM too? You just want the moon on a stick don't you  :P
I'll e-mail you the schematic, never actually wrote a BOM up for it. Glad it got there safe.

Schem rcvd with thanks