News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I am so over.... Stranded Wire

Started by playpunk, March 02, 2014, 09:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playpunk

Now I just need 500m of Juan & Cleggy's mean green.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

alanp

Hah, just wait till you've worked a piece of solid core too much and it breaks... and you spend a long time searching on the PCB for the error.

Time and a place for everything.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on March 03, 2014, 04:06:56 AM
Hah, just wait till you've worked a piece of solid core too much and it breaks... and you spend a long time searching on the PCB for the error.

Time and a place for everything.

Absolutely this.  Stranded wire, while a pain at times, is generally more reliable in anything where wires are moved around (sometimes even if just during assembly).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on March 03, 2014, 04:11:47 AM

Change your life, brah.

That's my preferred wire as well.  I just wish that they hadn't changed to a version with a thicker jacket.  It's still my favorite, but not as nice as before.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

timbo_93631

Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

lincolnic

Quote from: timbo_93631 on March 03, 2014, 04:47:15 AM
I usually use SB's #22 Pre-Bond

I was using only the #24 until my last order, when I ordered the #22 because #24 was out of stock. The #22 seemed to be lower quality to me - the bonding seemed to come apart when I'd bend the stripped wire (say to crimp it to a pot or switch lug), whereas on the #24 I could bend it and it'd stay together. Did anyone else run into this, or did I maybe just get a bad batch?

peAk

Leevibe

juansolo

24AWG pre-bonded ribbon is the holy grail if you can find it. Hitachi make it, but it's commercial only as far as I can tell and I've only been able to recover it out of old Japanese HiFis.

Otherwise I use our remaining stock of the 0.6mm solid core Eagle Equipment wire (now OOP). Really good solid, resists breaks much better than any solid I've ever used. Still you never over work solid. Get it right first time or bin it and use another piece.

The other stuff I use is some NOS 20 conductor 24AWG ribbon I've got. Again, once that's gone, it's gone. But it's the best stuff I've ever used outside the Hitachi. Not pre-bond, but it's proper super high quality stuff. Weighs a tonne.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

playpunk

I have some teflon pre bonded wire that is pretty  nice... but I just can't get those beautiful guts that I see from some of you with it.

Leevibe

Quote from: juansolo on March 03, 2014, 03:25:46 PM
24AWG pre-bonded ribbon is the holy grail if you can find it.

If anyone ever finds this, I would totally want some. 6 conductor would be the cat's whiskers.

Leevibe

Quote from: playpunk on March 03, 2014, 03:32:57 PM
I have some teflon pre bonded wire that is pretty  nice... but I just can't get those beautiful guts that I see from some of you with it.

I haven't worked with Teflon before. How does it strip?

playpunk

It takes a little elbow persuasion. It does look nice, though, and the insulation is pretty bombproof.

Leevibe

I'd love to experiment with it some time although I don't have trouble with melting insulation. Where do you get it in pre bonded?