News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Epoxy Resin

Started by night-B, February 20, 2011, 11:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

night-B

I heard of an epoxy resin finish for stompboxes.
I imagine how cool the results may be : high gloss finish, and high durable protection.
If anyone here have any info on this, I'd be interested !
I don't know how I can apply it equaly over the enclosure...
There's one FSB user , using this method, but he didn't answer to PMs  :'(
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4959&p=84320#p84320

edit : http://soniccrayon.blogspot.com/
This guy makes killa finishes  :o

madbean

That's actually "Cloudscapes" (current forum name) on DIYSB. Guy does fantastic work. I like the Hollow Earth thing a lot.

Beerdog80

You can brush it on.  Just takes a few days for it to cure and it is usually smooth in appearance when your done.  If it's not perfectly flat, you could wet sand and buff if needed. 

night-B

Thanks for the advice. I think i'll try this on my next build ;)

Fastocker

Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

Haberdasher

Have any of you who have used this coating tried drilling after it's cured?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Beerdog80

I've never tried but given the nature of it, I'd bet it would chip like crazy. 

cjkbug

I've done a bunch of boxes with the 2 part epoxy. "pour a finish" I believe was the brand. it works great.

make sure you use standoffs, or you'll permanently glue your box to your work surface. and make sure you mix it thoroughly or it will remain tacky. I measure equal parts resin and hardener. mix for a couple minutes. pour it off into a clean cup and mix for another minute.

slowly drizzle it on your box starting at the edges first. you can use a popsicle stick to trowel it across the sides for an even coat. I stay away from brushes so I don't get hairs stuck. pour the rest over the top. it is self leveling so as long as the box is level you will get an even coat. you can breath on it or use a hair dryer to release any bubbles trapped in the finish. any remaining bubbles can be popped with a needle. I usually cover it with a box with plenty of clearance to keep dust off it while it cures. come back a day or 2 later and you'll have the smoothest glossiest finish you've ever produced.

I use a power sander to remove the hardened drips that form at the boxes bottom edge. drilling is no big deal, but avoid using a center punch to mark the holes before drilling. occasionally the impact can separate the finish from the box. this type of finish works great for laminating pictures to your box. I'll try to find a photo or two and post them to show the results.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

Jamiroking

For all the people that have used this.

I'm looking for something that can give a durable finish over the rattle can paint jobs I've done. I've already chipped some of the spray on clear coats so this looks promising. The finished results are amazing but how durable is it? Powder coating is out of the question since I already have the paint. I spent so much time on the nice paint jobs that I want to make sure whatever I put on is STRONG