News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hand drilling 6 Screw Strat Tremolo Bridge (Another bridge question)

Started by peAk, June 04, 2019, 05:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Its me and I am back with another bridge question.

This is about a 6 screw vintage strat tremolo. My first late 80s strat had a hideous Kahler tremolo on it that I pretty much hated through the years. I recently removed the Kahler bridge and tried adding a 2 post Fender tremolo which I ended up hating as well. I finally just came to the conclusion that I just hate floating trems. I know you can block them but I don't want to do that either.

So that brings me to my question. I am going to plug up the two holes from the previous bridge and go to a 6 screw bridge which I already know I like cause I have Strats with this style of bridge. The problem is, my drill press isn't large enough to drill these new bridge holes. I wanted to see if anyone of you have had success drilling these by hand and how you went about it. I can drill a fixture on my drill press first and use that as a guide, I suppose. I am not worrying about getting the holes aligned because I have done enough of that with the pedal and synth stuff on our enclosures. I am more worried about drilling perpendicular to the body.

This Strat has sentimental value to me because it was my first guitar but it's beat to hell. So I am not trying to go about this the cleanest way possible.

Anyway, thoughts?

woolie

It is dead simple to drill those 6 holes for the 6 screw bridge. They don't need to be exact at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Muadzin

Yeah, you really need something to steady that drill in the absence of a drill press. And if you do have a drill press you need one that's adjustable in both height and width. Because 99% of the commercially available drill presses out there won't allow you to reach certain places on a guitar's body, as they only do height. And some of the places where you want to drill for tremelo studs are out of reach. Depending on the body type of course.

peAk

Quote from: Matmosphere on June 04, 2019, 09:41:55 PM
These work surprisingly well

https://www.rockler.com/big-gator-v-drill-guide-standard?sid=V9146?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhMyjoOXQ4gIVmoTICh2LyAFsEAQYBiABEgKfXvD_BwE

you sir, had the winning answer for the tele bridge (Wilkinson) as well as this tool. I bought the smaller one (needed a 3/32 guide ) obviously but it worked perfect. I now have my Strat set up perfect with the new bridge!

These work surprising well to get started. No real need for a center punch when using them https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000TZX1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I owe you a beer, or two now!