News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mod-Ring -- Second Version

Started by cajone5, April 17, 2017, 02:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajone5

So, I built a mood ring a while back and Boba7's build with modulation was so cool I had to add it to mine.  So I built this guy up... Standard mood ring controls (mood, space, dwell, ring, dry-kill) with added modulation on vero with rate and depth controls (sine wave shape hard-wired) and on/off toggle for the modulation.  It turned out really nicely, I thought, although I drilled the LED about 1/16th off center and it drives me kind of crazy...

Gut shot from when I was debugging a wrong resistor.  It's got a lot of wire in there and the mod board is stuck to the bottom edge of the enclosure in the photo.  I probably could have built it cleaner but I intended for this to be the learning phase and I learned quite a bit but the biggest takeaway is that Boba7 has  a great ear and suggested some excellent mods.

This guy lived on my board for the past few months and is awesome.  I decided it was definitely a keeper (rare these days for me), so I begged dminner to etch me a nice enclosure.  I have plans for one more reverb but that's going to be a true spring verb in a head enclosure so this will be the one and only reverb on the pedal board for me.  Dan obliged and etched a really nice enclosure (I wish I could create something even half this cool looking on my own).

In the back here...

In the front here...

Finally, the past 2 weekends were partially spent on this project and partially on another.  Finally, this weekend, I was able to get this beast wired up and it fired up first try (although I did some trouble shooting while assembling so that's not totally accurate).  It's got the following boards in there...

1. Grind Customs Lumen Optical Bypass
2. Grind Customs PLFO Modulation Board
       -- Wired to DPDT switch to turn on/off modulation LED and make/break connection to space pot
3. Vero daughter board for PLFO for rate LED (thanks Boba7 for the notes!)
4. Madbean Mood Ring
       -- Increased feedback and brightness mods courtesy for Boba7 again

This one is still a bit of a mess inside but pretty darn clean and LOTS of controls.  I absolutely love it.  I wired the dry kill switch on the top edge which was easy since it's in a 1590BBT with lots of depth.  Top jacks like almost all my builds.  I prefer that for simplicity and space savings.  Modulation board has a pot for rate and depth of mod, another pot for shape that goes from sine/triangle wave on the left to square wave on the right and an on/off toggle.  10mm white LED for on/off, 3mm blue LED for mod.

Cleaner guts than before but still a bit of a mess due to the multiple boards and limited space...

Wow... quite the post.  Very cool project and very empowering.  Hoping to keep this momentum up in my next personal build.  I feel like I haven't built much for myself lately but between my 5e3 and this reverb the past few weeks have been very rewarding.

Now I probably need to sell the black one off since it's been usurped...

Thanks for all the hard work that allowed me to build this Brian, Rej, Dan and Boba7!

Aleph Null

Looks great! Good layout. Really nicely executed. I particularly like the LEDs/bezels.

Boba7

Wow, now that's a truly amazing reverb pedal!

Love love love the enclosure, and the wiring is so neat too!

Glad I was a small part of that build, turned out great!

bluescage

Boba7

By the way, I would love to hear or see a short demo of this pedal, especially with square wave modulation!! :)